Stourbridge 0-5 Macclesfield Town

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 14 Oct 2017

Macclesfield Town will be in the draw for the first round of the 2017/18 FA cup on Monday night after comfortably seeing off the challenge of Stourbridge at the War Memorial Athletic Ground.

John Askey made four changes from last Saturday’s 1-0 win over Ebbsfleet, with Scott Wilson, Mitch Hancox, George Pilkington and Danny Whitaker taking places on the subs bench.

Both sides were looking to move into the first round of this seasons FA cup, having both had successful periods in the competition in their recent history.

A quiet opening to the game followed, but Macclesfield midfielder Danny Whitehead would go on to put his side into the ascendency 10 minutes in.

After a corner was half-cleared inside the Stourbridge penalty area, the ball fell to the former Wigan  man on the edge of the area and his eventual effort was deflected into Matt Gould’s left-hand corner.

Stourbridge looked for an instant response just two minutes later, and Macclesfield had goalkeeper Shwan Jalal to thank for keeping the one-goal advantage. After collecting the ball on the left-hand touchline, Aaron Forde tried his luck from distance, but Jalal, getting down low, was equal to his best efforts.

That save looked even more crucial just two minutes later, as Tyrone Marsh doubled the visitors lead. After the ball was played his way in the area, Marsh produced a neat turn and shot to create the space for the follow-up effort and he would make no mistake in adding to the National League clubs tally for the afternoon.

The following 20 minutes proved to be a quieter stage in the contest, with Jack Duggen’s headed effort coming closest to adding the afternoon’s goal tally.

The home side would come even close to reducing the deficit after 38 minutes. What began as a long-range ball Into the box quickly became a goal mouth scramble, with the Macclesfield defence, brilliantly, holding firm to block three goal-bound attempts in quick succession.

On the stroke of half-time, Durrell seemed to have put the contest beyond doubt. It was Marsh, again, who was the architect as his forward pass found the feet of the winger in the area. After taking the ball down well under pressure, Durrell confidently placed his shot into the bottom right-hand corner of the net, sending Gould the wrong way in the process.

The second half began with the home creating an early opportunity, with Jalal doing well to scramble across his goal and deny Duggen from close range.

Koby Arthur added a fourth after 67 minutes. Collecting the ball well on the edge of the area, he advanced past the challenges of the tiring Stourbridge defenders to create space for the opportunity and remained calm to extend the visitors lead even further.

Elliot Durrell was replaced by Noe Baba shortly after Macclesfield extended their lead, as John Askey looked to add fresh legs to proceedings. Fitzpatrick would also be replaced by Hancox after 74 minutes and Gime Toure was introduced in place of earlier goal scorer, Tyrone Marsh with 77 gone.

A moment of magic from midfielder Scott Burgess on 79 minutes increased the score even further. Picking up a bouncing ball on the edge of the area, Burgess was allowed time to pick his spot and did so with the best possible conviction.

The home side did their best to reduce the deficit in the close stages, but the referee’s whistle at the end of the game signalled an FA cup first round place for the Silkmen.


Macclesfield Town team:

Jalal, Hodgkiss, Kennedy, Lowe, Fitzpatrick (Hancox), Burgess, Durrell (Baba), Marsh (Toure), Whitehead, Arthur,

Subs not used: Pilkington, Ramsbottom, Wilson, Whitaker.

Attendance: 1152.

By Steven Dale.

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube