Match Report: Macclesfield Town - Maidenhead United

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 24 Feb 2018

Macclesfield Town made it three wins in the space of a week thanks to a dramatic late winner from Scott Wilson.


The hosts were dominant throughout, though they left it extremely late to pick up the deserved three points.

Macclesfield started the game strongly with an early corner, but Whitaker’s ball didn’t find its target.

Tyrone Marsh did well down the right-hand side to beat his man and feed Elliott Durrell who was running in behind, but the winger’s fizzed cross was too strong for any attacker in the area.

Marsh was in the thick of the action again before the ten-minute mark, as he was slipped through on goal by Danny Whitaker, only to be brought down in a collision with the opposition defence. The referee shook his head, and play resumed.

With Maidenhead chasing shadows in the early minutes, the away side were looking to capitalise from a corner before Danny Whitehead cleared with conviction. His long ball reached Marsh, who slipped a ball in towards Hancox, but it was just too long for the winger and resulted in another goal kick for the visitors.

The Silkmen continued to threaten with some composed play as the half went on. Danny Whitaker came close with a volley from the edge of the area, but only forced a corner.

Danny Whitehead drove through the lines before being dispossessed, with the ball falling to Mitch Hancox, who struck wide with his first-time effort.

Despite a break in play due to an injury for Rene Steer, Macclesfield remained the team in possession and continued to threaten as the half drew to a close. Danny Whitehead’s stellar performance in midfield continued as he dictated play, but the hosts couldn’t find a breakthrough before half-time.

Macclesfield flew out of the traps for the beginning of the second-half, with Danny Whitehead latching onto a loose ball to drive at the Maidenhead defence. Unfortunately he couldn’t get the ball out of his feet and the chance came to nothing.

Maidenhead grew into the game as the clock ticked on, with good chances falling to Hyde on multiple occasions that he couldn’t convert.

Substitute Nana Owusu’s successive corners looked threatening to the Silkmen, but they eventually came to nothing.

Macclesfield regained dominance in the closing minutes, with Elliott Durrell particularly looking determined to grab a goal. He tried a fantastic effort from range, which was superbly saved by the goalkeeper.

Danny Whitaker had a fantastic volley denied before a creative overhead kick from Blissett, and substitute Callum Evans had one blocked on the line.

With moments to go, Scott Wilson rose at the back post to head home from the resulting corner, earning the hosts all three points.


Attendance: 1,668

Macclesfield: Jalal, Hodkiss, Fitzpatrick, Lowe, Pilkington, Durrell, Marsh, Blissett, Hancox, Whitaker, Whitehead

Subs: Wilson, Ramsbottom, Kennedy, Evans, Burgess

Maidenhead: Pentney, Clerima, Steer, Massey, Hyde, Pritchard, Clifton, Upward, Kilman, Goodman, Smith

Subs: Osno, Emmanuel, Marks, Barratt, Owusu

By Adam Washbrook

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube