Match Report: Macclesfield Town 2-2 Tranmere Rovers

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 21 Nov 2017

Macclesfield have drawn successive games at the Moss Rose following a 2-2 affair with Tranmere Rovers on Tuesday evening.

The result leaves Macclesfield still in good standing in the chase for the play-offs, thanks to Tryone Marsh’s dramatic late equaliser. 

John Askey's side had to come from behind twice with Scott Wilson following in a Danny Whitaker penalty to level in the first-half but Marsh's late strike meant that the Moss Rose faithful left the ground happy.

The Silkmen were unchanged for the game and Elliott Durrell had the first chance of the match as he cut inside from the right and fired a shot from the edge of the area with his left foot. The keeper was beaten, but his effort was just wide of the far post.

Ryan Lloyd was next to take a bite of the cherry as he cut in from the left, and after his parried shot was dealt with poorly by the Tranmere defence, Burgess struck narrowly over from the bar from the edge of the D.

The opening onslaught from Macclesfield wasn’t enough to scare Tranmere, who opened the scoring in the 19th minute with a brisk counter attack from a Macclesfield corner.

James Norwood swept forward and squared up the outnumbered Macclesfield defence before sliding the ball out wide, with Larnell Cole ready to slot home the resulting Ollie Noburn cross in the centre of the six-yard box.

With the hosts settling into the game, Macclesfield enjoyed more possession of the ball but Tranmere looked a clear threat on the counter.

With the clock running down to half-time and supporters becoming increasingly frustrated by Tranmere’s time wasting, a free-kick from the halfway line was lofted into the area and met by defender George Pilkington.

His initial connection brought the ball fortunately to his feet, and as he turned to shoot he was brought down. The referee awarded the hosts a penalty, which Danny Whitaker saw saved, but Scott Wilson was lurking to smash in the rebound.

The hosts were level for only two minutes though, Andy Cook this time the thorn in the side of Askey’s team as they were once again caught on the counter from a corner. Jalal’s efforts to save the shot were determined, but Cook’s half-turn attempt was well placed in the bottom corner.

The second half started the way the first ended, with Rovers happy to sit on their lead. Macclesfield created a chance immediately through Danny Whitehead, but his shot went over.

Though the home team dominated possession, Tranmere proved difficult to break down and much of the second 45 was played in the middle third of the pitch.

Scott Burgess went close around the 70 minute mark when he was slipped through just off centre of the posts, and his cross-come-shot was cleared for a corner as the ball threatened to run away from him.

James Norwood had a chance to possibly seal the points for Rovers with a quality half-volley, but his effort went just wide.

Tyrone Marsh was introduced with ten minutes to go, doubling the attacking threat up top for Macclesfield, and it was that man who levelled the score in the dying seconds to earn Macclesfield a point.

There was still a chance for Scott Wilson to win for the Silkmen but they had to settle for a point in an entertaining game at the Moss Rose.

Match stats:

Attendance: 1,709

Macclesfield: Jalal, Hodgkiss, Fitzpatrick, Lowe, Pilkington, Durrell, Wilson, Lloyd, Whitehead, Burgess (Marsh 80’), Whitaker (Arthur 66’).

Subs: Ramsbottom, Marsh, Kennedy, Hancox, Arthur.

Tranmere: Davies, Buxton, Sutton, McNulty, Cook (Kay 89’), Norwood (McDonagh 85’), Norburn, Mottley-Henry, Cole (Jennings 45’), Clarke, Banks.

Subs: Pilling, Jennings, McDonagh, Gumbs, Kay.

By Adam Washbrook

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube