Match Report: Macclesfield Town 1 Ebbsfleet United 0

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 07 Oct 2017

Macclesfield extended their winning run to four consecutive games as they became only the second team to beat Ebbsfleet this season with a 1-0 win at Moss Rose.

Mitch Hancox scored the only goal of the game on 42 minutes which keeps Macclesfield at the top of the National League.

Ebbsfleet came into the game with a fantastic away record and hadn’t lost an away game since Boxing Day last year and it was the visitors who created the first clear cut chance of the half through Danny Mills on 6 minutes.

The big number 19 flicked the ball over George Pilkington and fired towards goal but Shwan Jalal produced the first save of the game to keep the scores level.

Macclesfield then dominated possession through the half and came close to scoring twice via George Pilkington and Mitch Hancox. Both chances were almost a carbon copy of one another, both players drilled shots towards goal from the left and both went inches wide of the right-hand post.

Sean Shields was looking lively for the visitors, he manufactured a chance for his side but his effort was well saved by Jalal after the midfielder worked his way round the Silkmen defence.

It took until the 42nd minute for the deadlock to be broken and Mitch Hancox was the man to do it. Ryan Lloyd expertly picked a pass to find Whitaker in space. He crossed the ball into the box and even though Scott Wilson missed the chance to fire a shot at goal the ball rolled through to Hancox who smashed it into the net.

The goal seemed to give the Silkmen some momentum as just a minute after the goal they tried their luck again. This time the ball fell to Whitaker just outside the box and he hit a powerful volley at goal but Ashmore held the ball well.

Ebbsfleet could’ve gone into the break on level terms as Myles Weston went in on goal 1v1 but just before the wide man could shoot, Keith Lowe produced a stunning sliding tackle to stop him in his tracks and kept the score 1-0 at half time.

The second half was tightly contested in the first 10 minutes but Danny Whitehead fashioned a chance on just before the hour mark when he struck a shot from range but it didn’t trouble Ashmore.

Both team’s defences were performing well and chances were rare in the second half, but on 68 minutes Shields had a good chance to equalise. He went through one on one with Jalal, but Jalal denied the midfielder by saving brilliantly before the defence cleared to safety.

Ebbsfleet began to pile on the pressure as the half went on but Macc were threatening with their counter attacks.

David Fitzpatrick broke down the left-wing, he fired a shot on goal only for goalkeeper Ashmore to parry the ball out to Whitehead whose follow up shot went agonisingly close.

Ebbsfleet once again cranked up the pressure. Jack Powell’s free-kick narrowly missed the goal and Danny Mills saw his shot blocked, after Myles Weston picked him out in the box.

The Silkmen defence continued to stand strong and dealt with everything Ebbsfleet could throw at them.

Four minutes of added time were indicated by the fourth official but it didn’t affect the course of the match and the final score finished Macclesfield Town 1 Ebbsfleet United 0


Attendance: 1,635 (105 Ebbsfleet)

Macclesfield Starting XI: Jalal, Hodgkiss ©, Fitzpatrick, Lowe, Pilkington, Durrell (Burgess 69’), Wilson (Marsh 69’), Lloyd, Hancox, Whitehead, Whitaker

Substitutes not used: Ramsbottom, Kennedy, Arthur

Ebbsfleet Starting XI: Ashmore, McCoy, Connors (McLean 59’), Rance ©, Clark, Powell, Weston, Shields, Mills, Coulson (Cook 45’), Bush

Substitutes not used: Miles, Graham, Mambo


By Andrew Gate 

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube