Match Report: Macclesfield 0-0 Bromley

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 12 Aug 2017

Macclesfield continued their unbeaten run in the league with a 0-0 draw against Bromley.

John Askey’s side threatened most throughout the game but the Silkmen couldn’t find their way past a stubborn Bromley defence.

The Silkmen made three changes coming into the game with Koby Arthur making his first start of the season alongside Gime Toure. Kieran Kennedy also came in for the injured George Pilkington. 

It was a battle for possession in the first five minutes of the game. The first chance of the half came when some good work from Ryan Lloyd won a free kick 20 yards out which Marsh hit into the wall.

Moments after, Koby Arthur was next to try his aim at goal, his bursting run into the box allowed him the space to shoot but his shot was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Ravens’ keeper Gregory.

Brett Williams had the first chance of the game for the visitors, he latched onto a ball from one of his team mates and his deflected shot was floating over Jalal, before the keeper got back to tip the ball over the bar.

Just after the half hour mark Macclesfield threatened again, Koby Arthur powered through the midfield to go in on goal but his long-range effort was saved by Gregory and the rebound was cleared by the visitors.

Straight after that, Bromley countered and Luke Wanadio went forward to try his luck, he struck a low driven drive straight at goal which Jalal saved easily.

From then on, it was a battle for possession for the rest of the half but Macclesfield were the better of the two teams testing their luck from range.

Koby Arthur kept threatening as well as the lively Tyrone Marsh but all efforts at goal didn’t trouble Gregory in the Bromley net.

However, Jalal was called into action to save a ferocious strike from Bromley’s Williams, later in the half, after the striker hit the ball straight at the keeper and the score stayed 0-0 at half time.

Two minutes after half time, the Silkmen nearly took the lead. A corner was sent in by Whitaker and after a goal line scramble the ball fell at the feet of Kennedy but the central defender couldn’t put it past Gregory.

In the sixty seventh minute, Macclesfield thought they should've had a penalty after Koby Arthur was brought down in the box after a strong challenge, but the referee waved away the appeals and the game carried on.

Again, Macclesfield threatened the goal just five minutes after that. Gime Toure this time on his debut hit a curling shot towards goal but it sailed just over the bar.

Williams was Bromley’s main man in attack and he pushed for the opener again, going through on goal 56 minutes in, but he dragged his shot just wide.

After a short delay after Shwan Jalal was foreced off injured, Macclesfield continued to threaten. Some neat footwork from Arthur opened the angle for a shot but after a Gregory save, Whitaker tried his luck from the rebound but again the visitors number one produced an outstanding reflex save to keep the scores level.

Five minutes from time Bromley, tried their luck, Sutherland curled a shot towards goal from 20 yards out which went just wide.

There was still time in the additional minutes for Macclesfield to threaten as they piled the pressure onto Bromley. Noe Baba took aim from range and his shot flew just wide of the post but neither team could break the deadlock and the game finished 0-0.

Attendance: 1281 (63 Bromley)

Macclesfield Starting XI

Jalal (O'Brien 60), Fitzpatrick, Lowe, Marsh, Lloyd (Hancox 63), Baba, Kennedy, Yates, Toure, Arthur (Wilson 81), Whitaker

Subs Not Used: Richards, Burgess

By Andrew Gate 

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube