Match Report: Forest Green Rovers 1-0 Macclesfield Town

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 04 Nov 2017

Christian Doidge’s first half strike was enough to knock Macclesfield Town out of the FA Cup, with League Two side Forest Green Rovers into the hat for the second round.

The Silkmen had their chances during the game but they couldn't find a leveller against the EFL side. 

John Askey made four changes to the side that lost to Eastleigh last week and the Silkmen side made a positive start to the game.

But it was Forest Green Rovers who had the first chance of the match, with top scorer Doidge firing just over the bar when one-on-one with Shwan Jalal. The Silkmen reacted and looked to capitalise on the home side’s 3-5-2 formation with Tyrone Marsh looking dangerous from through balls up front for the visitors.

In the 19th minute Macclesfield almost got the opener as Marsh crossed into Whitehead who’s shot hit Bradley Collins and went out for a corner. The chances kept coming for the Silkmen, with Durrell linking up well with Marsh to put him through, but each time the ball was just inches too close to Collins who smothered a couple of chances midway through the half.

Just moments after Tyrone Marsh had the ball in the net, but was ruled offside, Christian Doidge had opened the scoring for Forest Green Rovers. Scott Laird got free down the left and crossed into the box, with Doidge bundling the ball into the net from close range. In trying to prevent the goal, Kieran Kennedy injured himself, and was replaced by George Pilkington in the 44th minute.

The second half progressed in much the same fashion, with space available for the Silkmen, but the final ball was often agonisingly too close to either Collins in the FGR goal, or the solid home defence. Manny Monthe impressed for the hosts with several driving runs that left the Silkmen defence vulnerable, but Macclesfield continued to have just as many opportunities.

Christian Doidge should have doubled his own tally and sealed all three points for Forest Green Rovers but the striker skewed his shot to the left of Jalal’s goal when he was left with space and time in the penalty area. Bugiel also made an impact after coming off the bench, but miscued his opportunity.

A late Monthe foul left Macclesfield with a chance to pour bodies in the box, and a corner late on almost gave Ryan Lloyd the chance to head in. But ultimately it wasn’t to be for the Silkmen, who will now focus on their league campaign.

Match Stats:

Macclesfield Town: Shwan Jalal, Jared Hodgkiss ©, David Fitzpatrick, Keith Lowe, Elliott Durrell, Tyrone Marsh, Ryan Lloyd, Kieran Kennedy (George Pilkington 44’), Danny Whitehead, Noe Baba (Danny Whitaker 75’), Koby Arthur (Scott Wilson 80’)

Subs not used: Sam Ramsbottom, Mitch Hancox, Gime Toure, Scott Burgess

Yellow Cards: Noe Baba 52’

Forest Green Rovers: Bradley Collins, Dale Bennett, Scott Laird, Drissa Traore (Jordan Stevens 91’), Lee Collins ©, Manny Monthe, Keanu Marsh-Brown (Omar Bugiel 70’), Christian Doidge, Reece Brown, Jack Fitzwater, Isaiah Osbourne

Subs not used: Sam Russell, Will Randall, Mark Roberts, Toni Gomes, Luke James

Attendance: 1387 (212 Silkmen fans)

By Molly Hudson

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube