Match Report: Dag & Red 1-0 Macclesfield

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 24 Oct 2017

Macclesfield’s impressive unbeaten run came to an end, as a stubborn Dagenham side snatched a 1-0 win at The Chigwell Construction Stadium.

Morgan Ferrier grabbed the only goal of the game on 49 minutes in a tight encounter and despite the Silkmen pushing for a leveller the winning streak came to an end.

John Askey handed Sam Ramsbottom his full debut for Macclesfield as he replaced Shwan Jalal in goal and Kieran Kennedy replaced the injured Jared Hodgkiss at right back.

The first half was an end to end affair with both teams having chances in the game. Macclesfield’s wingers were the first to really threaten in the game. First, Koby Arthur linked up well with David Fitzpatrick working the space for a cross but Cousins in the Dagenham net saved well.

Next Elliot Durrell tried to carve out a chance, he sent a cross into the box but it narrowly missed the head of Wilson.

The Silkmen then put their foot on the gas, the in-form Scott Wilson turned and fired at goal from a tight angle but saw his shot blocked on 23 minutes.

Then moments after, Macc were denied an opening goal when Danny Whitaker’s header was blocked on the line by Scott Doe.

Macc were threatening on the counter-attack but it was the host’s turn to attack. Morgan Ferrier came close twice.

Firstly, he jinked in and out of the Macc defence and fired a shot well over the bar. However, his second effort was much closer as he fired inches over Ramsbottom’s bar from a similar angle.

Both teams had one more say before half time. For Macc, the lively Koby Arthur hit a dipping shot narrowly over the crossbar and with the last kick of the game Sam Ramsbottom produced a stunning save to deny the hosts when a corner found Craig Robson from yards out.

Half-time: Dagenham 0 Macclesfield 0

Straight after half-time it was the hosts who took the lead through Ferrier. A mistake from Keith Lowe allowed Charlee Adams to feed through the striker, who rounded Ramsbottom and made it 1-0.

After that chances were few for either side with each team battling for possession.

Macclesfield found it hard to get past a stubborn Dagenham defence who tried to break away through Okenabirhie on 71 minutes, but Elliot Durrell brought down the midfielder and was yellow carded.

The Silkmen pressed for an equaliser and came close five minutes from time. Good pressure from substitute Tyrone Marsh forced Scott Doe to clear his lines, but his header cleared his own crossbar by inches.

As time went on game management came into play with the hosts taking as much time as possible to halt momentum in Macc’s attack.

Elliot Durrell tried his luck from long range in four minutes of added time, but his shot didn’t trouble Cousins and the score stayed the same at the full-time whistle.

Dagenham 0 Macclesfield 1

Attendance – 1,185 (59 Macclesfield)

Dagenham starting XI: Cousins, Doe ©, Robson, Howell, Adams (Robinson 90’), Ferrier, Boucaud, Ling, Cheek (Bloomfield 69’), Whitely (Okenabirhie 66’), Howells

Subs not used: Moore, N’Gala

Macclesfield starting XI: Ramsbottom, Fitzpatrick, Lowe, Pilkington, Kennedy, Durrell, Wilson (Marsh 73’), Lloyd, Whitehead, Arthur (Toure 75’), Whitaker ©

Subs not used: Baba, Hancox, Burgess

By Andrew Gate 

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube