Macclesfield Town 2-1 Guiseley - Match Report

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 10 Feb 2018

Macclesfield Town produced a dramatic second-half comeback to take all three points against struggling Guiseley at Moss Rose and return to the top of the National League.

Nathan Blissett’s first for the club, and a header from Tyrone Marsh was enough for Macclesfield to take all three points after Guiseley had taken a lead into the half-time break.

Victory took Macclesfield back to the top of the table after Wrexham were held to a 1-1 draw at home to FC Halifax.

The Silkmen went into the contest on the back of a two-week break, having not played since the game against Torquay two weeks ago.

Meanwhile, visiting Guiseley entered the contest bottom of the National League and looking for all three points to ease their relegation fears.

Starting the game in a new look front two alongside Nathan Blissett, Tyrone Marsh had the first opportunity of the afternoon. His first-time effort bringing out the best in Luke Coddington from an angle.

Danny Whitehead was the next to go close. A powerful run from Blissett opened up the opportunity for the midfielder who placed his effort over the Guiseley crossbar.

However, despite The Silkmen’s early pressure, it was the visitors who took the lead. Rowan Liburd the man to grab it, as his powerful effort beat Jalal.

Clearly determined to put that early setback behind them, Macclesfield continued to knock on the door. This time, it was Elliot Durrell who was denied. Taking advantage of Blissett’s knockdown to create the space, the winger took aim, but his effort caught the best of Connington’s acrobatics once again.

That man Blissett continued to cause the Guiseley defence problems as the game wore on, and almost brought the scores level when connected well to a Mitch Hancox cross with his head. The ever-consistent Durrell also went close shortly afterwards.

The visiting Guiseley came close to extending their goal tally for the afternoon, with 40 minutes on the clock, when Alex Purver went close. The midfielder, picking the ball up in the middle of the pitch, continued to advance towards the Macclesfield penalty area, before his eventual effort flew wide of Jalal’s left-hand post.

Hancox also went close for the home side shortly before the interval, with Macclesfield feeling unfortunate to be behind as they entered the halftime break.

The second half began with Guiseley winning an early corner, following a brilliant bit of defending from Keith Lowe in the penalty area.

Macclesfield thought they had levelled the scoring on 49 minutes when Nathan Blissett beat off the challenge of Connington to head home in the area. However, the celebrations were cut short after the fourth official signaled offside against the big target man.

The Guiseley goalkeeper, Connington continued to frustrate Macclesfield, and he did brilliantly to beat away a close-range header from Blissett after Hancox’s cross had found the forward lurking in the six-yard area.

But Blissett would finally get the reward that his, and Macclesfield’s, efforts deserved with 61 minutes gone. After Danny Whitaker's corner wasn’t cleared, the forward was on hand to smash home the equaliser for the home side from close range.

Whitehead fired over once again for Macc a few minutes later, before Macclesfield made their advantage count for a second time.

This time it was Marsh who got himself on the scoresheet, he was the benefit of a brilliant cross by Hancox down the left and the forward somehow squeezed his header low past the diving hands of Connington.

Substitute Mike Fandop fired over for Guiseley before Kieran Kennedy was introduced as a substitute for Macclesfield with seven as John Askey looked to preserve the lead they had created for themselves. He replaced the scorer of the second goal, Tyrone Marsh.

Whitehead fired straight at the keeper from the edge of the area, before the fourth official indicated that there would be four additional minutes to the second half. Scott Burgess also replaced Elliot Durrell in the aftermath.

Despite the visitor's late efforts, it was the home side who took all three points and will go in to next weekends game with Aldershot on the back of this afternoon's win.

Match Stats:

Macclesfield Town team: Jalal, Hodgkiss, Fitzpatrick, Lowe, Pilkington, Durrell (Burgess), Marsh (Kennedy 83), Blissett, Hancox, Whitehead, Whitaker.

Subs not used: Wilson, Evans, Ramsbottom

Attendance: 1464 (78).

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube