Macclesfield 2-1 FC Halifax Town - Match Report

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 26 Dec 2017

Macclesfield Town extended their lead at the top of the National League with a 2-1 victory against FC Halifax Town at the Moss Rose.

Goals from Danny Whitehead and Tyrone Marsh cancelled out an early Tom Denton goal for the Shaymen as the Silkmen gave over 2,000 home fans a late Christmas present.

Boss John Askey named an unchanged side for the game, although he did make one change to his bench with George Pilkington returning from a back problem.

Macclesfield made a bright start to the game, dominating possession in the early stages of the contest without creating any clear-cut chances.

Despite their quiet start, it was the visitors who took the lead on 11 minutes as Denton rose to meet a dangerous Jake Hibbs cross and nod home.

That goal gave the visitors confidence and soon after Danny Clarke came close to getting on the end of another dangerous cross.

Macclesfield were still looking threatening though and when Scott Wilson picked up a lose ball in the middle of the park he turned and ran at the visiting defence only to see his shot comfortably saved.

Whitehead flashed an effort wide soon after before Denton missed a glorious chance to get his and Halifax’s second. A good chipped ball inside the box found the big forward but the striker scuffed his shot.

Wilson thought he had leveled for Macclesfield soon after but his header was ruled offside before Marsh missed a chance to level after he was sent through on goal.

Macclesfield were now well on top and they got a deserved leveler as the game entered stoppage time at the end of the first-half.

Whitehead found space to take aim on the edge of the box his deflected effort left Johnson in the Halifax goal with no chance and send the sides in to the break level.

Soon after the interval the visitors nearly regained the lead as Denton prodded the ball towards goal after a scramble in the Silkmen box only for Keith Lowe to clear.

At the other end Scott Burgess forced a good save from visiting goalkeeper with an effort from distance.

That was Burgess’ last real involvement as he was replaced by Durrell soon after but it was nearly Kieran Kennedy who gave Macclesfield the lead as he headed a Whitaker corner over the bar.

Whitehead and Scott Garner went in the book soon after, while Cliff Moyo was perhaps lucky to escape punishment after a barge on Scott Wilson who looked to be in goal but on 78 minutes Macc had the lead.

Whitehead made a fantastic run down the right wing and his back heel eventually found Marsh who superbly guided the ball off his head in to the far corner to put the Silkmen 2-1 ahead.

Wilson was replaced by Mitch Hancox for the closing stages which the Silkmen survived fairly comfortably although the visitors did have the ball in the net during stoppage time.

Thankfully the goal was disallowed for an obvious foul on Shwan Jalal and Macclesfield had a deserved win as they stretched their lead at the top of the National League to three points.

Up next for John Askey’s Silkmen is the visit of second place Sutton United on Saturday.

Match Stats:

Macclesfield: Jalal, Hodgkiss, Fitzpatrick, Lowe, Kennedy, Burgess (Durrell 65), Whitaker, Whitehead, Lloyd, Marsh, Wilson (Hancox 84)

Subs Not Used: Ramsbottom, Pilkington, Arthur

FC Halifax Town: Johnson, Myro, Wilde, Brown, Garner, McManus (Tomlinson 70), MacDonald, Clarke (Waring 88) ,Hibbs, Collins.

Subs Not Used: Nicholson, Oliver,  Duckworth

Attendance: 2313 (311 FC Halifax Town fans)

Bookings:  Macclesfield – Whitehead (71)

Halifax – Brown (34), Garner (68)

Goals: Macclesfield – Whitehead (45+1), Marsh (78)

Halifax – Denton(11)

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube