Macclesfield 0-2 Blackpool: Report

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sat 29 Jul 2017

Macclesfield suffered a 2-0 defeat to Blackpool in their final pre-season game ahead of the National League season kick-off next week at Wrexham.

The Silkmen had chances during the game but two second half strikes from the League One side eventually saw them get the win as pre-season came to a close.

The game got off to a slow start with Blackpool dominating much of possession. The Seasiders began the half in fine fashion as they passed the ball around brightly, and the chance of the game came on the tenth minute for the away team.

With the ball hooked high into the box, David Fitzpatrick attempted a composed header back to Shwan Jalal in the Macclesfield goal but that was intercepted by Clayton, whose opportunistic effort was stopped by Jalal at close range.

Elliot Durrell then took centre stage as he showed his quality down the right-hand side. He brought down a superb ball from Noe Baba before firing towards Tyrone Marsh, who beat his man but couldn’t provide a shot to match the quality of his control.

Only minutes later there was a sense of Deja vu in the stands as Durrell once again provided the magic from the right-hand touchline. His ball to Marsh was once again spot on, landing perfectly on the striker’s forehead, but he couldn’t convert from close range and the ball landed on the top of the net.

Play flowed well as the game ticked on but chances were few and far between for the two sides as the first-half went into its latter stages, and the most notable action was knocks to Blackpool’s Sean Longstaff – a head injury which saw him replaced by Nathan Delfouneso – and Macclesfield’s Marsh, who looked in some discomfort but played on after some treatment.

With all to play for in the second-half, Blackpool came out the stronger side. Though the first chances of the half came to Macclesfield, once again through the work of Durrell, Blackpool took the lead through Mark Cullen.

After good work from the Tangerines to earn a corner, the simplest of balls was headed in at the front stick by Cullen and Macclesfield suddenly had a job on their hands.

Unfortunately for the home team the scoreline was doubled only a couple of minute later. A powerful drive through the midfield resulted in a save from the trialist goalkeeper, who tipped only into the path of the lurking Cullen who doubled his tally for the day.

Though there were chances for Scott Wilson and Gime Toure towards the end of the game, as well as a chance from a freekick some 20-yards from goal and a powerful drive that hit the cross bar from another Macclesfield trialist, the comeback was not on for the Silkmen and the game drew out to a close at 2-0 to the visitors.


Macclesfield: Jalal, Hodgkiss, Fitzpatrick, Baba, Pilkington, Durrell, Lloyd, Burgess, Whitaker, Marsh, Lowe.

Subs: Wilson, Hancox, Toure, Kennedy, Richards, Trialist.

Blackpool: Allsop, Mellor, Tilt, Robertson, Daniel, Longstaff, Turton, Osayi-Samuel, Clayton, Cooke, Cullen.

Subs: Gnanduillet, Williams, Taylor, Anderton, Hartley, Delfouneso, Philiskirk, Matt.

Attendance: 589 

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube