Guiseley 1-2 Macclesfield - Match Report

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 03 Oct 2017

Goals from Danny Whitaker and Elliot Durrell sent Macclesfield to the top of the National League as the Silkmen beat Guiseley 1-2 at Nethermoor Park, in Whitaker’s 400th game for Macclesfield.

Mike Fondop equalised late on in the first half for the hosts, but Durrell’s 86th minute strike means Macc extend their winning run to three games.

Coming into the game John Askey named an unchanged side sticking with the team that beat Aldershot 2-0 in their last outing.

It was end to end football in the first 15 minutes of the game with both teams coming close to an opener.

Elliot Durrell was a thorn in Guiseley’s side, coming close twice in the opening exchanges, first firing over from range and secondly when his cross-come-shot evaded everybody in the box and went inches wide.

However, on 16 minutes Danny Whitaker would mark his 400th appearance with a goal. Good work from Mitch Hancox down the left wing allowed him to pick out Scott Wilson in the box. The striker curled a shot towards goal and it cannoned back off the post to Whitaker, who was ready and waiting in the six-yard box to bury the ball past Maxted in the Guiseley goal.

Guiseley then started to grow into the game but the Macc defence stood firm. Lee Molyneux’s free kick was defended well and cleared by Jared Hodgkiss and John Rooney’s tame effort was saved by Shwan Jalal.

Minutes before half-time the hosts were level. Mike Fondop managed to run onto a ball which beat the Silkmen defence. He ran in on goal and had the time and space to dink the ball over Jalal and send the teams into the break on level terms.

Half time, Guiseley 1 Macclesfield 1.

The opening exchanges in the second half were slightly muted with half-chances falling to either side but the game came alive on the hour mark.

Mike Fondop managed to muscle George Pilkington off the ball and then cut into the box. He went in on goal from a tight angle but he blasted his shot over the bar.

John Askey subbed Koby Arthur onto the pitch on 63 minutes and it didn’t take him long to test Maxted. After a good passing move he collected the ball on the edge of the area and bent a shot at goal but it was turned behind for a corner by Maxted.

Macclesfield then started to pile on the pressure. Scott Wilson, Danny Whitehead and Danny Whitaker all had chances but their efforts came to nothing against a stubborn Guiseley defence.

However, four minutes from time the Silkmen got what they deserved. Ryan Lloyd managed to find Tyrone Marsh in the penalty box, he turned and lost his marker and played a perfect pass to the feet of Durrell who drove the ball into the opposite corner of the net leaving Maxted with no chance.

Guiseley then poured on the pressure for the last 10 minutes of the game as they searched for a second equaliser but again Macc’s defenc stood strong in the four minutes of added time.

John Rooney tried his luck twice in injury time but the score stayed the same. Guiseley 1 Macclesfield Town 2.

Guiseley Starting XI: Maxted, Brown, Palmer, Hatfield, Rooney, Molyneux (Thompson 78’), Odejayi (Haworth 67’), Atkinson, Lenighan, Freestone, Fondop

Subs not used: Wesolowski, Lawlor, Mulhern

Macclesfield Town Starting XI: Jalal, Hodgkiss, Lowe, Pilkington, Fitzpatrick, Durrell (Kennedy 88’), Wilson (Marsh 78’), Lloyd Hancox (Arthur 63’), Whitehead, Whitaker

Subs not used: Ramsbottom, Burgess

By Andrew Gate 

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube