From The Vault - Eastleigh

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 17 Apr 2018

John Askey’s side make the long journey south to face Eastleigh on Saturday, for the Silkmen’s final away game of the National League season.

Matches between the two sides have been very competitive over the years, so as we gear up for another massive contest, we look into the vault and remind ourselves of our previous clashes between the Silkmen and the Spitfires.

Macclesfield 2 – 0 Eastleigh – 30th August 2014

The very first clash between the two sides saw Macclesfield keep all three points at the Moss Rose.

Domaine Rouse gave the Silkmen the lead just after the half hour mark. His header from a difficult angle found its way into the top right corner after Scott Barrow supplied the forward with a pinpoint cross.

Town went on to double the lead and secure the three points on the hour mark. Once again a cross was floated into the box, and Paul Lewis was there to head the ball into the back of the net on a very enjoyable night for Macc.

Eastleigh 1 – 0 Macclesfield – 22nd August 2015

Ross Lafayette scored the only goal of the game to secure all three points for the hosts. A well worked move allowed the hosts to cross the ball into the box, and Lafayette got to the ball first to nod home.

Macclesfield did almost equalise in the game, George Pilkington headed an effort over the bar in the dying moments, but it wasn’t to be for the Silkmen.

Macclesfield 1 – 2 Eastleigh – 8th December 2015

This clash between the two sides got off to a flying start. Firstly, on 6 minutes, James Constable gave the visitor’s the lead as he tucked away Adam Drury’s ball to make it 0-1.

However, only two minutes later, Macclesfield were level. Tony Diagne was the man with the goal as he rose highest to head home Paul Turnbull’s corner.

After a frantic start the game calmed down, but Eastleigh went on to steal the spoils. In the 61st minute the striker fired the ball home from 12 yards and move Eastleigh to fourth.

Eastleigh 0 – 1 Macclesfield – 21st February 2017

The last time Macclesfield made the journey to the Ten Acres Stadium, it ended in victory.

A bright start from John Askey’s side saw Macc take the lead in 7 minutes. Rhys Browne was the man with the goal, and it was certainly one to remember for the forward.

He brought the ball down well, from the edge of the box before he went on to beat his marker and blast the ball into the corner of the goal to make it 0-1.

Macc had the ball in the net for a second time later in the game, but the linesman spoiled the celebrations as he called offside.

The score stayed 0-1 and Macclesfield went within three points of the play-off places.

By Andrew Gate

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube