Boreham Wood 0-2 Macclesfield Town - Match Report

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Tue 10 Apr 2018

Two goals from Tyrone Marsh was enough for Macclesfield Town to take all three points at Meadow Park and increase their momentum at the top of the National League table.

Marsh scored a goal in each half and whilst Boreham Wood had their chances this was a massive victory for the Silkmen.

Before the game, John Askey included both Nathan Blissett, after he saw his red card against Ebbsfleet overturned, and Danny Whitehead who returned from injury.

It was the home side who created the first opportunity of the contest within the opening five minutes. Ricky Shakes the man with it, as he twisted and turned in the Macclesfield penalty area. However, under pressure from Keith Lowe, he was only able to lift his effort over the target.

Danny Whitehead went close only three minutes later, his powerful strike from the edge of the box producing a tremendous block from David Stephens. Mitch Hancox then fired over the crossbar in the following period of play.

Macclesfield began to control play as the half wore on and their efforts were rewarded 19 minutes in. After a well-timed ball was guided into the box by Callum Evans on the right-hand side and, after the ball dropped to him in the area, Tyrone Marsh was there to guide it in from close range.

The second goal in as many games for Marsh brought The Silkmen the early advantage they were looking for, but they went extremely close to doubling their lead just two minutes later. It was Marsh again with the opportunity, he met Hancox’s cross with force at the back post and his low effort brought out the best in Wood goalkeeper, Grant Smith.

However, Boreham Wood, who started the day fifth, weren't going to let a goal affect them and they perhaps should have doubled their lead after 27 minutes. Morgan Ferrier’s headed effort, from six-yards, somehow skirting wide of Jalal’s post.

The game had to wait another 16 minutes for a talking point of note and it came from distance. Shakes, again, putting over from the home side after Macclesfield cleared well from a long raking free kick into the box.

The second half began with Macclesfield again looking comfortable. Some early pressure from Boreham Wood well dealt with, as the Macclesfield defence looked to keep their solid defensive record.

That pressure at the other end of the pitch proved to be just the catalyst that Macclesfield Town needed. Marsh doubling his lead after 58 minutes after he latched on to a fine Danny Whitaker cross to head home from the edge of the six-yard box.

With the travelling Silkmen fans in fine voice behind the goal, Smith acrobatically denied Nathan Blissett from the edge of the penalty area as he looked to extend the advantage even further.

However, despite Macclesfield’s dominance, Boreham Wood went close to opening their tally for the evening through David Stephen’s. It was Tom Champion that provided the opportunity from the dead ball, and the defender climbed highest in a crowded penalty area to head wide.

That opportunity spurred Boreham Wood on for the rest of the half, and they would have a lot of possession, but in the end, the defensive wall of Macclesfield Town held firm to see out the remainder of the game.

The result leaves Macclesfield Town well clear at the top of the table, and they could confirm promotion to the Football League on Saturday if results go their way.

Match Stats

Jalal, Hodgkiss ©, Fitzpatrick, Lowe, Pilkington, Marsh, Blissett, Hancox, Evans, Whitehead (Kennedy 89), Whitaker.

Subs not used: Ramsbottom, Wilson, Burgess, De Girolamo.

Attendance: 602

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube