2016/17 Season Review - November

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Sun 04 Jun 2017

A look back at the Silkmen’s progress in November of the 2016/17 season

November was a mixed month for The Silkmen in the National League with a win, loss and draw, but the stand out result was a victory over League One opposition in Round One of the FA Cup.It began with our very own FA Cup giant killing as The Silkmen defeated League One’s Walsall. Despite there being 46 league places between the two clubs John McCombe’s header was enough to separate the two sides and leave Macclesfield in the draw for round two. The goal came after a foul on Paul Lewis left Danny Whitaker to deliver a free-kick which McCombe glanced in. The Silkmen more than held their own in what was an even game, and nearly doubled their lead as the impressive Whitaker curled just wide.A week later it was back to league action with a bump as Macclesfield suffered a 1-0 defeat at the hands of promotion chasers Forest Green Rovers. In an even game at the Moss Rose it was a goal in the second minute which clinched all three points for the away side. Keanu Marsh-Brown slotted in past ‘keeper Craig Ross and had another effort deflected wide before half time. The second half continued with few chances for Macclesfield and Marsh-Brown’s strike proved to be decisive.Next up came an away win at Aldershot Town, with a Chris Holroyd double enough to come away with victory. Holroyd’s sixth and seventh goals of the season were enough gave Macc a superb win on the road despite a consolation goal for Aldershot courtesy of a Will Evans finish from Nick Arnold’s free-kick.November ended with a 1-1 draw away to Gateshead just three days later, with Danny Rowe on the scoresheet for The Silkmen. Gateshead took the lead in just the 12th minute in their first real attack as Danny Johnson fired in a Mitch Brundle free-kick. Rowe’s deflected shot flew just past the post, but just moments later he headed home to equalise from a Jack Mackreth cross. A resolute Macclesfield defence kept Gateshead out with two goal line clearances and ensured The Silkmen left the Gateshead International Stadium with a point.This left The Silkmen with four points out of a possible nine, as well as a second round FA Cup draw against Oxford United.

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube