Skip to main content Skip to site footer

The Story Of Our 1970 FA Trophy Win

2 May 2020

Fifty years ago today, Macclesfield Town became the first-ever side to lift the FA Trophy at Wembley Stadium. We will be looking back at that historic occasion throughout the day and to start, we take a look back at the story of what represented a momentous achievement.

In the immediate aftermath of England's World Cup win in 1966, an array of plans were put forward - all designed to build on the national fervour that Sir Alf Ramsay's side had elicited at every level of the game.

One of these ideas was to create a second cup competition for sides immediately outside the Football League, which would largely mirror the format employed by the FA Cup and would include a showpiece Wembley final.

This was unveiled in 1969, as the FA Council announced a new "FA Challenge Trophy" competition which would be open to all non-Football League clubs registering professional players.

Our first-ever FA Trophy encounter was played on 14th January 1970, when Burscough visited the Moss Rose.

The match certainly captured the imagination of the Silkmen faithful, as 1,960 supporters saw Merrick Corfield score the only goal of the game to send Frank Beaumont's side through.

Wing-half Dave Roberts proved to be the hero in the second round, as The Silkmen were handed another home draw - this time, against Gainsborough.

The former Wigan Athletic man scored twice without reply against the fellow Northern Premier League side and this sent Macc into a tricky third round encounter at Bangor City.

In front of a crowd of 4,147, Dennis Fidler earned the visitors a replay back here at the Moss Rose as his strike ensured that the original tie finished in a one-all draw.

The return fixture proved to be an equally tense affair. as both sides searched for a hero.

Just like on so many previous occasions, that proved to be Brian Fidler as his solitary strike sent The Silkmen through to a fourth round clash with Burton Albion.

Our much-loved "Showman" was on target once again in Staffordshire. as his goal ensured that the tie returned to the Moss Rose as a result of another one-all draw.

Whereas our third round replay against Bangor City was a truly nail-biting encounter, the return fixture with The Brewers proved to be a far more straight-forward affair.

Brian Fidler was on the scoresheet once again and his strike was added to by Dave Lyon, Dick Young and an own goal - all of which resulted in a comfortable 4 - 0 victory.

This sent Frank Beaumont's side into a semi-final encounter with Barnet at Stoke City's Victoria Ground on 4th April 1970.

Played in front of 7,855 supporters, the game was understandably a cautious affair. Yet Dick Young was to write his name into the history books, as his strike sent Macclesfield Town into the inaugural FA Trophy Final at Wembley.

28,000 people flocked into the National Stadium to see us lock horns with Telford United on 2nd May 1970 and it proved to be a memorable day in our illustrious history.

Dave Lyon opened the scoring and our "Showman" Brian Fidler would go on to double Macc's lead, as he mesmerised us all once again on the greatest stage.

The celebrations which followed were as iconic as the heroes that had created them, as Frank Beaumont became the first player to lift the FA Trophy.

The pride that the achievement elicited undoubtedly inspired a generation - as well as those that followed through passionately told stories of all those who were present.

Macc went on to secure the Northern Premier League and North West Floodlit League titles and there is absolutely no doubt that all those who were part of that incredible team will be remembered here at the Moss Rose forevermore.

Advertisement block