Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Macclesfield Town 1-0 Cambridge United

4 January 2020

Macclesfield Town recorded a hardfaught victory over a stubborn Cambridge United outfit at the Moss Rose this afternoon.

Arthur Gnahoua's early strike was enough to seal the points as he caught Cambridge goalkeeper Callum Burton out at his near post in the opening minutes.

The Silkmen looked to make the most of this good early spell with efforts from Jay Harris and David Fitzpatrick following Gnahoua’s early strike.

George Maris looked to pull Cambridge back level with a curling effort from the edge of the area, but his effort curled just wide following a Cambridge counterattack.

Gnahoua, who was a thorn in the Cambridge backline for much of the early exchanges, would find himself with Macc’s next chance of note; but his goal bound effort was blocked by a scrambling Cambridge defence.

Despite being on the backfoot for the majority of the first half, the U’s would come close to finding an equaliser through George Maris; but his effort was headed off the line by Fiacre Kelleher.

Fraser Horsfall headed just over as Macc continued to dominate in the first half before Joe Ironside came close following a fantastic solo run.

The Silkmen started the second half with the same intensity that was on display for much of the opening period; with Gnahoua beating two players before sliding the ball towards Connor Kirby, who just couldn’t connect.

Kirby almost turned provider himself moments later, but his cutback was too short for the onrushing Joe Ironside.

The Silkmen would have the ball in the back of the net once again ten minutes into the second half, but the referee disallowed the goal after a short consultation with the linesman.

Cambridge grew into the game on the hour mark and almost drew level through George Maris, who saw his powerful close-range effort held by Evans.

They continued to push for an equaliser and almost found it through Paul Lewis; but he could only hit the outside of the post from close in.

Joe Ironside’s shot from the edge of the area was a welcome break from Cambridge’s increasing threat; but he couldn’t find the target with his half volley.

Whilst our visitors controlled the ball for the final minutes, they were unable to create a chance of note as the Silkmen held firm to claim all three points.

Attendance: 1,454 (180 away).


Line Ups

Macclesfield Town

1. Owen Evans

4. Jak McCourt

5. Fiacre Kelleher

7. Arthur Gnahoua

8. Jay Harris

9. Joe Ironside (Jacob Blyth, 88')

12. Miles Welch-Hayes

14. Connor Kirby

15. Fraser Horsfall

16. Corey O'Keeffe (Nathan Cameron, 75')

23. David Fitzpatrick

Unused Substitutes: Reice Charles-Cook, Eddie Clarke, Ben Stephens, Michael Rose.


Cambridge United

25. Callum Burton

3. Dan Jones (Andrew Dallas, 79')

4. George Taft

5. Greg Taylor

8. Liam O'Neil (Jordan Norville-Williams, 79')

10. George Maris

16. Harry Darling

20. Sam Smith

22. Paul Lewis

26. Harvey Knibbs

30. Jack Roles (Luke Hannant, 46')

Unused Substitutes: Dimitar Mitov, Harrison Dunk, Ben Worman, Lewis Simper.

Advertisement block