Skip to main content Skip to site footer

The Complete Record Of Forest Green Rovers' Visits To The Moss Rose

24 January 2020

Macclesfield Town have welcomed Forest Green Rovers to the Moss Rose on eight previous occasions and ahead of tomorrow's ninth meeting, we take a look back at each of these.
The first time that we met The Green Devils was back on 17th November 2001, when the two teams were paired together in the FA Cup First Round.
New manager David Moss saw the visitors claim a deserved replay that day, as a Ricky Lambert double spared our blushes.
The Gloucestershire outfit would return to the Moss Rose almost element years later as we contest a National League fixture on 22nd September 2012.
Our perfect home start to the 2012/13 season was to end that day, as Forest Green claimed a 2 - 1 victory over Steve King's men.
Matt Taylor gave the visitors a first half lead, yet this was to be cancelled out by Matthew Barnes-Homer just after the hour mark. John Paul Cassock was then dismissed for the home side, before Steve Brogan gave Forest Green all three points with a close-range strike deep into injury-time.
The Moss Rose faithful would endure another 2 - 1 defeat in our third Moss Rose meeting in April 2014.
Yan Klukowski opened the scoring with just two minutes on the clock that day and would claim his second of the game on 20 minutes with a looping header.
Scott Boden pulled a goal back for John Askey's side on the hour mark, yet it proved to be a mere consolation.
Six months later, the two sides would once again meet at the Moss Rose as we claimed our first league point against The Green Devils.
Elliott Frear was to opening the scoring for the visitors in the 11th minute, yet strikes from Paul Lewis and Waide Fairhurst gave The Silkmen a 73rd minute lead.
That said, Lee Hughes claimed a point for the visitors in the 78th minute, when his close-range strike brought the sides back level.
Our fifth meeting came on 19th September 2015 and it certainly proved to be a memorable one for everyone associated with Macclesfield Town.
Former striker, Jon "The Beast" Parkin opened the scoring for the visitors in the second minute, yet this catalysed the home side into producing a devastating performance in front of the Moss Rose faithful.
Kristian Dennis restored parity on 15 minutes and then went on to convert from the penalty spot in first half injury time.
With Forest Green reduced to ten men after the dismissal of Rob Sinclair, Macc sought for further goals in the second period and would extend the lead in the 64th minute courtesy of a Paul Lewis strike.
Our Magic Man, Danny Whitaker completed the scoring in the 83rd minute when hire fired home our fourth goal of the game.
The pendulum was to swing once more during the sixth meeting between the two sides however, as Keanu Marsh-Brown's second minute strike proved enough to claim all three points for the visitors on 12th November 2016.
John Askey's side were to claim revenge later on that season though, as a 12th minute Danny Whitehead strike saw Macc progress from our FA Trophy Third Round tie with the Gloucestershire side on 4th February 2017.
The last time that Forest Green made the trip up to the Moss Rose was on 29th September 2018.
Mark Yates' side were desperately looking for their first win of the campaign that afternoon and despite an encouraging start, fell behind in the 48th minute when Dayle Grubb smartly converted a free-kick from twenty-yards out.
Macc fought back and would deservedly restore parity seven minutes later when Scott Wilson confidently fired the ball home after Danny Whitaker's visionary assist.
All this means that our complete record when facing Forest Green here at the Moss Rose is -
Played 8. Won 2. Drawn 3. Lost 3.

Advertisement block