Skip to main content Skip to site footer

A Look Back At Crewe Alexandra's Previous EFL Visits To The Moss Rose

21 January 2020

In addition to the frequent meetings with our Cheshire neighbours during our non-league days, Crewe Alexandra have visited the Moss Rose to contest EFL fixtures on four previous occasions.

Ahead of tonight's fifth clash, we take a look back at each of these.

The first time that Crewe visited the Moss Rose in the EFL was back in December 2009, when Keith Alexander's side served up a real Christmas cracker.
With just four minutes on the clock, Colin Daniel's tenacious assist broke to Ben Wright who fired home in front of the jubilant Star Lane End.
Paul Bolland doubled our advantage nine minutes later, before Daniel majestically struck a third on the half hour mark.
The former Crewe midfielder latched on to the ball thirty-five yards from goal, before taking a touch and then unleashing an unstoppable drive which nestled into the top left-hand corner of the net.
Daniel immediately sprinted over to the home dugout to celebrate his world-class strike with his Manager, as the shell-shocked Railwaymen wondered what had just happened.
Substitute Calvin Zola reduced the arrears just after the hour mark, yet this proved to be a mere consolation as Ricky Sappleton completed the rout with a close-range strike deep into injury time.

Our Cheshire neighbours made their second journey to contest an EFL fixture at the Moss Rose back in March 2011.

Gary Simpson's side employed midfielder Ross Draper as a makeshift striker that day - yet it proved to be an inspired move as his thunderous 41st minute effort proved to be the difference between the two sides.

Crewe's Shaun Miller then saw his second half penalty brilliantly saved by Jose Veiga, as Macc eased their relegation fears by moving seven points clear of the drop zone.

We then entertained The Railwaymen for an EFL fixture back in April 2012, as Brian Horton's side fought for their League Two lives.

The hosts took the lead after 17 minutes, as Lewis Chalmers confidently converted from the penalty spot after Harry Davis had bundled Ross Draper over in the box.

Crewe restored parity five minutes before the interval however, as teenage striker Nick Powell hammered home from close range after seeing his initial chip desperately cleared off the line.

Powell then put the visitors ahead just before the hour mark, as his mesmerising run ended with a ferocious drive into the top corner of the net.

Horton's men subsequently rallied for the cause and got their just rewards ten minutes from time when Colin Daniel cut inside from the left before firing home at the near post.

Crewe last made the short trip over to the Moss Rose last February, to contest what would become one of the iconic fixtures of our survival success.

Jordan Bowery opened the scoring with just three minutes on the clock, yet Scott Wilson restored parity on the quarter-hour mark after surging through the Crewe rearguard.

Chris Porter restored The Railwaymen's lead from the penalty spot just after the half hour mark and that was how it was to stay until Nathan Cameron bundled the ball over the line with sixteen minutes left to play.

The visitors thought that they had won the contest in the fifth minute of injury time, when skipper George Ray's powerful header flew into the back of the net and yet it was Sol Campbell's men who would have the last laugh, as Reece Cole's majestic strike claimed a share of the spoils with virtually the last kick of the game.

Advertisement block