Skip to main content Skip to site footer

The Complete Record Of Our Trips To Colchester United

17 January 2020

Macclesfield Town have made the long journey down to Colchester on six previous occasions and ahead of tomorrow's seventh visit, we take a look back at each of these.
The first time that we travelled down to Essex in order to face The U's was back on 9th March 1991.
The hosts were adapting to life within the GM Vauxhall Conference at the time, after they had suffered relegation from Division Four the season before.
In what proved to be a keenly-fought contest, Peter Wragg's side were undone by a 33rd minute Ian Atkins penalty which handed Colchester maximum points.
The next time that we made the journey was ahead of the 1991/92 season curtain-raiser.
Played in scorching August temperatures, the home side embarked on what would become their glorious promotion-winning season with a two-nil victory.
Player-Manager Roy McDonough's side took the lead through Gary Bennett in the tenth minute, with debutant Steve McGavin completing the scoring right on the stroke of half time.
Following on from victories over Boston United, Bangor City, Northwich Victoria and Yeovil Town, Wragg's Silkmen side would make a further trip down to Essex during the 1991/92 season - this time to contest an FA Trophy Semi-Final First Leg tie.
An army of travelling Silkmen fans made the journey dreaming of a return to the Twin Towers, yet their hopes were to be dashed as The U's ran out convincing 3 - 0 victors.
Ian Stewart opened the scoring in the 23rd minute and Colchester's lead was doubled just two minutes later when Tony English fired home.
Roy McDonough then converted a 70th minute penalty and in doing so gave Colchester what proved to be an insurmountable first leg lead.
After regaining their place in the Football League in May 1992, it would be almost six years before the two sides would meet in Essex for a fourth time.
Sammy McIlroy's illustrious side were looking to claim three precious points in their quest for back-to-back promotions that day, yet the afternoon proved to be a forgettable one for all concerned.
Mark Sale broke the deadlock for the hosts in the 36th minute and despite the fact that Stuart Whittaker restored parity sixty seconds later, Colchester would dominate the second period.
They reclaimed the lead twelve minutes after the interval as Sale struck once more and this was added to by Aaron Skelton, Paul Abrahams and Tony Lock - all of whom got on the scoresheet in what proved to be an out-of-character 5 - 1 defeat.
Both sides achieved promotion glory at the end of the 1997/98 season and as such, they would meet for the final time at Layer Road on 6th November 1998.
We looked to be all-set to claim our first away victory over The U's when Peter Griffiths opened the scoring just before the half-hour mark - yet parity was to be restored fifteen minutes from time courtesy of a David Greene strike.
Just over twenty years were to pass before we returned to Colchester - as we made our Jobserve Community Stadium debut on 8th December 2018.
Former Arsenal and England defender Sol Campbell took charge of The Silkmen for the first time in the EFL that day and despite suffering a slender 1 - 0 defeat, there proved to be much to be optimistic about.
Mikael Mandron's 29th minute strike proved to be the difference between the two sides, yet the defiant nature of our performances gave added weight to the belief that our survival bid would ultimately be successful.
All this means that our complete record when making the journey down to Colchester is as follows -
Played 6. Won 0. Drawn 1. Lost 5.

Advertisement block