Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Morecambe 2 v 0 Macclesfield

11 February 2020

Two first half goals succumbed Macclesfield to defeat at the Globe Arena in a game of two halves for Mark Kennedy’s side.

The Silkmen looked a rejuvenated side in the second half after struggling to take the game to Morecambe in the first 45 minutes.

Macc started the game kicking into the wind and as a result, their usual slick passing game was a detriment to this. The opening exchanges were scrappy and tight with neither side creating any real chances.

However, with 16 minutes on the clock, breakthrough came for the hosts and Macc will be disappointed with how it was conceded. It was another goal conceded from a long throw and after the Silkmen struggled to clear it, Toumani Diagouraga lashed past Mitchell to give the Shrimps the lead.

Ironside struggled alone up top as he was left to chase lost causes with the wind really dictating how Macc attacked in the first half.

Morecambe doubled their lead shortly after the half hour mark through a deflected Aaron Wildig shot. Again, a long throw caused problems in the box for Macc, but Wildig’s shot took a cruel deflection which wrong footed Mitchell to put the hosts two in front.

Shrimps players could see the problems the conditions were causing Macc and goalkeeper Christoffer Mafoumbi decided to get in on the action. His drop kick accelerated towards goal and the awkward bounce nearly took it over Mitchell, but he caught safely on his line in the end.

Macc showed more pace and creativity in the opening five minutes of the second half than they did in the entire first half. Shilow Tracey’s shot smashed against a Morecambe defender, but the Silkmen were enraged a penalty wasn’t given by referee Salisbury for handball.

Shortly after, substitute Archibald’s cross fell to Fraser Horsfall at the back post, but the defender couldn’t get the ball out of his feet and the Morecambe goalkeeper collected.

On the hour mark, Danny Whitehead took aim from range and Mafoumbi was lucky to get away with spilling his shot as the ball was punted away to safety.

The Silkmen kept Morecambe at bay for the remainder of the game but Mark Kennedy’s side also struggled to manufacture any clear chances. The hosts were more than happy to sit on their lead and let the Silkmen attack them.

Connor Kirby was next to let fly from 25 yards out and he forced the Shrimps goalkeeper into a terrific acrobatic save with five minutes to play.

Macc huffed and puffed in the second half but it was not enough to salvage a point in Lancashire.

Macclesfield Town: Mitchell, Kelleher, Hamblin (Tollitt 45'), Gnahoua (Archibald 45'), Ironside, Kirby, Horsfall, O'Keeffe, Whitehead, Tracey (Wilson 68'), Fitzpatrick.

Subs: Blyth, Rose, Cameron.

Advertisement block