Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Macclesfield Town 1-1 Plymouth Argyle

18 February 2020

The Silkmen conceded late on against promotion chasing Plymouth Argyle to come away with a point in a game which could have gone either way.

Macc had the better of the first half and led through Spurs loanee Shilow Tracey, but could have led by more in truth after a strong first half showing.

Argyle grew into the game and dominated for large periods of the second half in their search for an equaliser - which Antoni Sarcevic duly provided as he knocked in the reboud following a penalty save by Silkmen stopper Jonathan Mitchell.

Macc started the better of the two sides, with Arthur Gnahoua’s early effort flying narrowly over Alex Palmer’s crossbar before Connor Kirby’s scooped effort also cleared our opponents’ goal.

Shilow Tracey then came close as the Silkmen looked to press home this early dominance, but Palmer was on hand to deny him and deflect the ball behind.

Gnahoua was on hand to force Palmer into another save shortly after before a Shilow Tracey penalty appeal was turned away; and Palmer was again called into action to deny Nathan Cameron who had powered through the Plymouth ranks to forge an unlikely one-on-one opportunity.

Despite our early dominance, Plymouth would have the ball in the back of the net first; but Danny Mayor’s strike was deemed to have been taken after the ball had run out of play before it was cut back to him.

Shilow Tracey then opened his Silkmen account as he calmly slotted the ball past Palmer and into the bottom right corner to hand Macc a deserved lead just after the half hour mark following a well timed through pass by Danny Whitehead.

Parts of the Plymouth support thought they had drawn level on the stroke of half time, but Luke Jephcott’s free kick rippled the side netting as Macc made it to the interval with our narrow lead intact.

The Pilgrims continued their assault on the Silkmen goal at the start of the second half and almost drew level through Jephcott, but Nathan Cameron dealt with the danger well before George Cooper struck wide.

Cooper went down in the penalty area moments later as Plymouth continued their search for a leveller, but the referee waved away his appeals as there did not appear to be any contact from Theo Archibald.

Tareeq Bakinson then had another penalty appeal dismissed before Shilow Tracey ran the length of the Plymouth half, but his cross-cum-shot was well kept out by an alert Palmer in the Plymouth goal.

This attack sparked new life into the Silkmen with Shilow Tracey leading Macc’s counter charge midway through the second period.

Connor Kirby struck over after some good work by Tracey before Theo Archibald’s cross had just too much on it for Ben Tollitt moments later.

The Silkmen continued to look dangerous on the counterattack, with Ben Tollitt’s through ball finding Theo Archibald who was again denied by an inspired Alex Palmer.

As the game entered its final stages, Plymouth threw caution to the wind in their search for an equaliser and almost found one following a Danny Mayor cross, but David Fitzpatrick threw himself in the path of the ball to deny the onrushing Plymouth attackers a certain goal.

Plymouth would find their equaliser late on as Antoni Sarcevic, who was tripped by Danny Whitehead, tapped in the rebound after his initial penalty was saved by Jonathan Mitchell.

The Pilgrims would continue to press as they looked to snatch all three points late on, but a stubborn Silkmen backline held firm and repelled the waves of high balls into the penalty area.


Macclesfield Town Line-Up

Jonathan Mitchell, Fiacre Kelleher, Arthur Gnahoua, Ben Tollitt (Harry Hamblin, 90’), Theo Archibald, Connor Kirby, Fraser Horsfall, Corey O’Keeffe, Danny Whitehead, Shilow Tracey (David Fitzpatrick, 72), Nathan Cameron.

Unused Substitutes: Joe Ironside, Ben Stephens, Jacob Blyth, Donovan Wilson.

Advertisement block