Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Macclesfield 0 v 1 Northampton

1 February 2020

The Silkmen suffered their second home league defeat of the season with Callum Morton’s second half finish proving to be enough for Northampton Town to take all three points.

Macc struggled to provide any attacking threat throughout the game with Keith Curle’s side dominating large parts of the game.

The opening fifteen minutes were quiet from a Macclesfield point of view. Sam Hoskins and Ryan Watson had a couple of half chances for the Cobblers, but both were saved comfortably by Jonathan Mitchell.

The Silkmen nearly scored with their first chance of the game; Ben Stephens produced a delightful cross that was knocked down to the feet of the Connor Kirby inside the box, but he was denied his first goal of the season by a goal line clearance from Northampton.

David Fitzpatrick dug teammate Fraser Horsfall out of a hole with 35 minutes on the clock after Vadaine Oliver raced onto the latter’s weak pass, however the left back timed his tackle to perfection on the edge of his box.

Mark Kennedy’s side was strong in defending against a potent Northampton attack for large parts of the first half, doing well to nullify the passing threat of Nicky Adams. On the other hand, the Silkmen’s attacking prowess was lacking, the direct style of play didn’t prove to be problematic for the visitors.

It was backs to the wall when play resumed for the second half with Macc switching to a back five with Nathan Cameron replacing Ben Stephens. Cobblers were seeing more of the ball, yet they struggled to conjure up any real chances.

However, breakthrough came in the 58th minute. Charlie Goode knocked down Nicky Adams corner to Callum Morton, who poked through a crowd of players from close range to give Northampton the lead.

Macc couldn’t stamp any authority on the game and their attacking approach was ineffective against a well drilled defensive unit. Arthur Gnahoua came close with a header that was caught well by Cornell with 25 minutes to play.

Going into the latter stages of the game, it was still the visitors who were on top. Sam Hoskins had a great chance to double their lead from Adams’ cross, but his touch bobbled away from him and he clattered into the post.

The game fizzled out unspectacularly with Northampton more than happy to sit on their one goal lead and take maximum points back to Sixfields.


Advertisement block