Skip to main content Skip to site footer

The Complete History Of Exeter City's Visits To The Moss Rose

14 February 2020

Exeter City make their eighth trip up to the Moss Rose tomorrow afternoon and ahead of the game, we take a look at their previous seven visits.

The first time that we faced The Grecians was back in October 1997, as part of our inaugural season in the Football League.

Nobody could have predicted the fairytale season that would subsequently unfold when we met, as two second half strikes from Stuart Whitaker and Mark Cooper saw us claim a share of the spoils in a two-all draw.

Exeter's second trip up to the Moss came almost exactly two years later and Sammy McIlroy's men would celebrate their first home win over the Devon outfit, courtesy of a solitary Richie Barker goal.

The Grecians would claim revenge the following season however, as Steve Flack opened the scoring right on the stroke of half-time to put the visitors into the ascendancy.

Their lead was doubled nine minutes from time, as Christian Roberts finished from close range to effectively end the game as a contest.

The two sides would next meet at the Moss Rose on a bitterly cold Tuesday evening back in February 2002.

Despite the fact that David Moss' side would suffer a 2 - 1 defeat that day, it proved to be a momentous occasion in our history.

With the deadlock still intact at the interval, the visitors claimed the advantage nine minutes after the re-start thanks to a Garry Tomlinson strike.

The Grecians extended their lead thirteen minutes later through Steve Flack's close-range effort, yet history was to be made when a certain midfielder came off the bench to instantly adhere himself to the Silkmen faithful.

His name was Danny Whitaker.

Within minutes of his introduction Danny had put his magic hat into full use, as he majestically surged into the box and fired past the advancing 'keeper to set up a grandstand finish.

Although an equaliser could be found, the Moss Rose faithful went away singing their new hero's name and they haven't stopped since.

Danny was once again on the scoresheet the following January, as he fired The Silkmen into a 56th minute lead during Exeter's fifth visit.

Sean Devine would break the Silkmen hearts that day however, as his injury-time strike restored parity in the cruellest of circumstances.

Exeter then visited the Moss back in September 2008, yet it proved to be a day to forget for Keith Alexander's side.

Within sixty seconds, Adam Stansfield had put the visitors ahead and their lead was doubled just after the half hour mark when Ryan Hartley fired home.

Simon Yeo did give Macc some hope by halving the arrears on the stroke of half-time, yet Stansfield was to claim his second three minutes after the interval and Matt Gill was to hit a fourth with five minutes remaining.

After the original fixture was postponed, The Grecians made their last trip up to the Moss Rose on 9th April 2019 - looking to get their play-off bid back on track.

They faced a Silkmen side who were fighting for their EFL lives and as such, the match developed into a pulsating affair which will long live in the memory of all those that attended.

The play-off chasing Grecians would take a 27th minute lead, when Lee Martin's cross was headed home by the lively Jordan Bowery.

Macc would hit back almost instantly however, as Harry Smith tenaciously positioned himself in the perfect location to divert Ben Stephens' tantalising cross into the back of the net.

Yet parity was to last just four minutes, before Bowery grabbed his second of the game to restore Exeter's lead.

The hosts fought back in dramatic style and after falling behind for the second time, set their sights on securing the victory which would see them ascend out of the relegation zone for the first time since mid-August.

Deep into first-half injury-time, skipper Nathan Cameron was bundled over in the area and Michael Rose nonchalantly despatched the resultant penalty to equalise once more.

There was little doubt that the strike injected a fresh wave of defiance throughout the Moss Rose and this manifested itself in the copious amounts of pressure that the team placed on the Exeter goal after the interval.

Our reward came five minutes from time, as Elliott Durrell's cross was inadvertently directed into the back of the net by Troy Brown.

This sparked memorable scenes, as Sol Campbell's men completed an inspired victory which played a pivotal role in our ultimate survival.

All this means that our complete record against Exeter at the Moss Rose is as follows -

Played 7. Won 2. Drawn 2. Lost 3.

Advertisement block