Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Silkmen Under 19s 'A' Team Reach Semi-Finals Of The EFL CEFA Cup

5 February 2020

Macclesfield Town U19 'A' team progressed to the semi-finals of the EFL CEFA Cup this afternoon, after victory over a well-organised and resilient Nottingham Forest outfit.

The young Silkmen side had eased past Blackburn Rovers 10-3 in the previous round, whilst Nottingham Forest had narrowly beaten Aston Villa 'C' team 1-0.

Paul McGuire's side was buoyed by the pre-match news that Rocco Fregapane and Lewis Price had overcome their injuries and were fit to play.

It didn’t take long for the game to have its first goal, as eight minutes in and Forest had broken the deadlock. Sean Holland was caught on the ball in the centre of the park and Forests' number ten nicked the ball before playing a swift one-two around Tyler Beck and Number 10 made no mistake in firing past Stockton in the Macclesfield goal.

Despite going a goal behind it was the visitors who had the most of the ball and were unquestionably carving out the better chances in the game.

We were rewarded on 20 minutes as Josh Clegg restored parity. After Trevor Kyobe had won the ball, he quickly played it into the feet of Liam Logan who flicked it to Tyler James. He took a touch before playing it into the advancing Kyobe - he very unselfishly squared it to Clegg who fired it into the back of the net.

This goal spurred Macclesfield on as they continued their pressure on the Forest back-line and took the lead in emphatic style. After some great link-up play from Price and James on the left hand side, Price drove into the box before pulling it back and after the Forest defenders failed to clear it Ramani Manning completed a neat turn before curling it into the top corner.

For all their pressure, Macclesfield would find themselves going into half-time level as Nottingham Forest found an equaliser in the 40th minute.

After picking the ball up in his own half, Forest's number 10 drove into the Macclesfield half - evading three defenders before playing a neat through ball to number 7. Despite offside calls, he slotted the ball past Stockton to draw Forest level.

The second half would start off in much of the same vain as the first finished - with the Silkmen having the majority of the chances but not finding their shooting boots and wasting great opportunities.

Macc would re-take the lead on 72 minutes in very controversial circumstances. After a great piece of skill from Manning, he managed to evade two Forest midfielders before spraying the ball out to Logan. He managed to reach the by-line and subsequently found Clegg on the edge of the box. He took a touch, before unleashing a shot which smashed off the body of Kyobe (who appeared to be in an offside position) and the ball fell to James who was more than happy to poke home to give the Silkmen the lead.

This would prove to be the winning goal, although Tyler James had the best chances to make it four. After being played through, he rounded the keeper but his goal-bound shot was heroically blocked on the line by a Forest defender.

The result means that Macclesfield Town 'A' go through to the semi-finals of this year's EFL CEFA Cup and we will bring you news of who we will face in due course.

Advertisement block