Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Silkmen Season Review: January

20 April 2020

A hectic January schedule was on the cards for Macc with no less than seven Sky Bet League Two fixtures scheduled to kick-off the new year.

It was also set to be a month of transition for the club, with Jonathan Mitchell, Shilow Tracey, Harry Hamblin and Danny Whitehead joining the ranks.

Meanwhile Jay Harris, Eddie Clarke, Miles Welch-Hayes, Virgil Gomis, Theo Vassell, Owen Evans and Emmanuel Osadebe all departed Moss Rose.

We would also welcome Mark Kennedy and Danny Butterfield to the club, with the former relacing Daryl McMahon as Head Coach whilst Danny Butterfield and Danny Whitaker would take on Assistant Coach positions. 


Matchday 23: Port Vale 2 v 2 Macclesfield Town (01/01/20)

We returned to the site of one of our most dramatic moments of the 2018/19 campaign, Vale Park, as we kickstarted 2020 with a fiery derby clash against the Valiants.

The game certainly lived up to the billing, as Macc responded to David Worrall’s first half strike with two goals in as many minutes from Jay Harris and Joe Ironside.

Harris’ effort was especially memorable, as he did his utmost to trump David Fitzpatrick’s spectacular goal last season by unleashing a fierce strike into the same net from distance.

David Amoo equalised for Vale just past the hour mark, whilst substitute Tom Pope saved what looked to be a Silkmen winner with a late goal line clearance.


Matchday 24: Macclesfield Town 1 v 0 Cambridge United (04/01/20)

Daryl McMahon left the club two days before our next fixture, as we welcomed Cambridge United to the Moss Rose for our first home tie of the year.

It would certainly be one to remember, as Danny Whitaker led the side to a narrow victory courtesy of Arthur Gnahoua’s early goal.

A number of chances to double the advantage would go begging for Macc, the most notable of which being Fraser Horsfall’s disallowed strike, whilst ex-Silkmen midfielder Paul Lewis spurned Cambridge’s best opening as he struck the post from close in during the second half.

A clean sheet ensured our first league victory since November with Danny Whitaker’s name ringing around Moss Rose at full-time.


Matchday 25: Macclesfield Town 1 v 1 Oldham Athletic (11/01/20)

A dramatic late Joe Ironside penalty rescued a point for Macc in our next league outing, as the referee sent off experienced Latics defender David Wheater after adjudging him to have intentionally handled the ball during a late goalmouth scramble.

Jonny Smith thought he had won the game for the visitors just five minutes prior, as he hammered the ball past Reice Charles-Cook from close in.

Both sides had chances to pull ahead before the late flurry of action, with Arthur Gnahoua’s touch letting him down early on before Oldham full-back Tom Hamer put the ball over from six-yards out early in the second half.


Matchday 26: Colchester United 2 v 1 Macclesfield Town (18/01/20)

Two goals in as many first-half minutes put Colchester in control early on at the JobServe Community Stadium back in mid-Janurary – with Callum Harriott’s strike in particular giving Reice Charles-Cook little chance.

There would be a consolation for Macc in new Head Coach Mark Kennedy’s inaugural outing, however, as Ben Stephens hit a ferocious volley which flew into the back of the Colchester net.

An equaliser was not forthcoming, however, as chances for Corey O’Keeffe and Joe Ironside came and went before the U’s pressed for a third following Stephens’ strike.

Reice Charles-Cook was on hand to deny Theo Robinson late on, but it was not enough to avoid defeat.


Matchday 27: Macclesfield Town 1 v 1 Crewe Alexandra (21/01/20)

Mark Kennedy’s Moss Rose bow looked set to be a victorious one for the Silkmen until late on against Crewe, as Callum Ainley struck deep into second half stoppage time to salvage a draw for the visitors.

Paul Green’s own goal just before the interval had given Macc the lead, as the high-flying Railwaymen piled the pressure on the Silkmen backline with a barrage of second half attacks.

This would make Ainley’s late leveller all the more frustrating, as some inspired defending had kept our narrow lead intact until the game’s final moments.


Matchday 28: Macclesfield Town 2 v 1 Forest Green Rovers (25/01/20)

Kennedy would not be denied his first victory as Silkmen Head Coach at the third attempt, with Arthur Gnahoua’s late goal completing an inspired second half comeback.

Carl Winchester had struck early on for Forest Green, before Josh March saw his penalty saved by Jonathan Mitchell early in the second half.

This breathed new life into Macc, whose equaliser came with just over fifteen minutes to play courtesy of Joe Ironside.

Arthur Gnahoua would steal the show, however, as he netted a goal of the season contender by smacking the ball past Conrad Logan from long range just moments after Corey O’Keeffe had picked up a red card.


Matchday 29: Newport County 1 v 0 Macclesfield Town (28/01/20)

A Joss Labadie inspired Newport inched past Macc at Rodney Parade at the end of the month as the County skipper nodded the eventual winner past Jonathan Mitchell in the first half.

The hosts had the chances to add to the score line with Labadie in particular lively throughout the game.

His goal came as he followed up on his initial effort, which Mitchell had pushed away – leaving the Silkmen six points clear of safety at the end of January.

Advertisement block