Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Silkmen Season Review: December

17 April 2020

Macc would start the month as the last had finished, extending the run of league draws to five during December, although we would only play three league fixtures during the festive month.

Away visits to Walsall and Forest Green Rovers were sandwiched between a home tie against Grimsby Town which rounded off our December schedule.


Matchday 20: Walsall 1 v 1 Macclesfield Town (14/12/19)

Miles Welch-Hayes netted his maiden Silkmen goal against the Saddlers inside the opening ten minutes as we got off to a strong start at Banks’s Stadium.

We would push for a second before Walsall’s leveller with Jay Harris coming closest to doubling the lead, but his deflected 30-yard strike clipped the bar on its way over.

Walsall would restore parity courtesy of Wes McDonald before the Saddlers forced Owen Evans into a string of fine saves late on; but the Silkmen defence held firm to claim a hard-earned point.


Matchday 21: Macclesfield Town 1 v 1 Grimsby Town (26/12/19)

After a tepid first half in our Boxing Day fixture against Grimsby Town, Joe Ironside came off the bench to inspire Macc to an early second half lead - picking himself up to score from 12 yards after being fouled inside the area.

This lead would last all of ten minutes, however, as Charles Vernam rescued a point for the visitors - slotting the ball beyond Evans following a solo run just shy of the hour mark.

Both sides would struggle to create much in the ensuing half hour and we would be forced to settle for a point.


Matchday 22: Forest Green Rovers 1 v 0 Macclesfield Town (29/12/19)

Our run of five consecutive draws came to an end at The New Lawn as Farrend Rawson’s late header clinched the points for our hosts.

Arthur Gnahoua came closest for Macc, but he couldn’t connect with Emmanuel Osadebe’s cross as what proved to be a huge first half chance went begging.

Corey O’Keeffe would have a shout for a penalty kick waved away by referee Paul Marsden after appearing to have been checked by his marker during a surging run into the FGR area.

A late Osadebe cross came to nothing as Macc pushed for an equaliser, but it wasn’t to be as we recorded our first league defeat since the beginning of November.

Advertisement block