Skip to main content Skip to site footer

On This Day: Woking 5 v 4 Macclesfield Town

13 April 2020

Throughout on On This Day feature, we have mainly concentrated on games where The Silkmen have won or picked up a fairly decent point.

Today, we take you back seven years - to a game we actually lost, but it was so, so close to being a memorable occasion for John Askey's side.

Coming into the game on the back of four successive defeats, Macc travelled down to Surrey to take on our old rivals Woking and were determined to give the travelling Silkmen something to smile about as they hit the road for the last time in the 2012/13 season.

Despite this, the visitors found themselves two goals down within the opening seven minutes. The first of these came when Rhys Taylor pulled off a fantastic save to stop a looping header at the Macc goal, yet Billy Knott was on hand to convert the rebound from close-range.

One became two shortly after, as Kevin Betsy picked up the ball just inside the area and managed to guide it across the face of goal and into the far corner of the net.

Jack Mackreth was then adjudged to have impeded Knott in the penalty area and Jayden Stockley stepped up to despatch the resultant penalty to give The Cards a three-goal cushion.

Peter Winn, John-Paul Kissock and Waide Fairhurst all had opportunities to reduce the deficit, yet Woking were to make it four when Stockley burst through on goal and confidently lifted the above over the advancing Taylor.

Just before the break, Knott ended a well-worked move when he slid the ball into the back of the net from twelve-yards out to hand The Cards an emphatic five goal lead at the interval.

For many teams, the second period will be viewed as one of damage limitation in such conditions - yet after imparting his words of wisdom, Askey saw a rejuvenated Silkmen side come out after the break, as they set their sights on trying to get back into the game.

With Macc firmly in the ascendancy during the opening stages of the second-half, the arrears were reduced on the hour mark when Fairhurst hit a twenty-five yard screamer into the top corner of the net.

Eleven minutes later, Guy Madjo pounced on a mistake from the Woking 'keeper to fire home from close-range, before Fairhurst grabbed his second when he turned on the edge of the area before firing a low drive into the bottom corner.

As we moved into injury-time Arthur Gnahoua beat the offside trap to smash the ball into the roof of the net to set-up a grandstand finish.

Despite this, the clock beat us from securing a phenomenal comeback as The Cards held on to claim victory.

Here are the match highlights -


Macclesfield Town: Taylor, Jackson, Audel, Mills, Winn, Mackreth, Murtagh, Wedgbury (Gnahoua 81), Kissock, Fairhurst, Madjo.

Advertisement block