Skip to main content Skip to site footer

On This Day: Boreham Wood 0 v 2 Macclesfield Town

10 April 2020

On this day back in 2018, John Askey's illustrious Macclesfield Town side took another massive step towards the National League title with a 2 - 0 victory at Boreham Wood.

In the shadows of the Elstree Studios, another epic part of our mesmerising story was written as Tyrone Marsh scored twice to open up a twelve point gap over second-placed Tranmere Rovers.

Congregating in the local hostelries before the game, the loyal Silkmen fans who had made the long journey down to Hertfordshire were certainly in good voice and this was furthered an hour before kick-off as news broke that Nathan Blissett's red card gained at Ebbsfleet United the previous Saturday had been rescinded.

The decibel levels rose consistently throughout the warm-ups and as the two teams enter the field, the travelling contingent gave Askey's side the sort of inspirational reception which made everyone believe that we were on the cusp of yet another memorable occasion.

The opening exchanges proved to be fairly even, with Ricky Shakes going close for the hosts and Danny Whitehead forcing an agile save from Grant Smith within the first fifteen minutes.

Mitch Hancox then fizzed a twenty-yard drive fractionally over the crossbar, as Macc began to settle and in doing so, started to look the most potent.

After a period of sustained pressure, the deadlock was broke in the 19th minute when Jared Hodgkiss' deep cross towards the back post was tenaciously won by Mitch Hancox and Tyrone Marsh was on hand to fire home from close range.

A matter of seconds later, our lead could well have been doubled when Hancox and Marsh combined once again. After seizing on a mistake in the Boreham Wood defence, Hancox broke free down the left-hand side and after despatching his cross to the far post, Marsh forced 'keeper Smith into a smart save with his feet to deny the former Dover Athletic man his second goals in as many minutes.

Despite the dominance being shown by the visitors, The Wood should arguably have restored parity on 27 minutes when a dangerous ball into the box was headed wide by Morgan Ferrier from ten yards out.

Both sides had speculative efforts in the dying moments of the first period, but as the half-time whistle blew a nervous Silkmen following were left praying for a second goal to ease the tension.

The second half began with the hosts enjoying the bulk of possession, yet Shwan Jalal was not overly troubled by the threat which on offer - particularly in light of the solid defensive set-up which protected his goal so gallantly.

The same could not really be said of the home 'keeper Smith, who then produced a phenomenal save to deny Blissett from point-blank range. Innovative play down the left saw Danny Whitehead and Mitch Hancox combine and when the latter's teasing low cross was met at the far post by the Plymouth Argyle loanee, he looked certain to double our lead until Smith somehow denied him with a fine stop.

Shortly after, we did claim our second goal however - much to the relief of the away contingent.

Danny Whitaker's corner from the right made it's way back to him and our Magic Man then produced a tantalising ball into the area which Marsh guided home with a diving header in front of the jubilant Silkmen fans.

Maybe, just maybe, that was the point when we knew that our return to the EFL was only a matter of time away.

Scott Wilson then hit a rasping drive from distance and it took an alert Smith to tip it around the post to prevent Macc adding a third.

Nathan Blissett then sent a header over the bar from close range, whilst at the other end David Stephens could have reduced the arrears when he could only direct his headed effort wide from six yards out.

The scenes at the final whistle will long live in all our memories and as the Silkmen embarked on the long journey back home, they knew that we could be crowned champions the following Saturday.

Here are the match highlights -


Macclesfield Town: Jalal, Hodgkiss, Lowe, Pilkington, Fitzpatrick,  Evans, Whitehead (Kennedy 89), Whitaker, Hancox, Marsh, Blissett.

Advertisement block