Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Macclesfield 1 v 1 Crawley Town

7 September 2019

Theo Vassell’s header was not enough to claim all three points as Macc drew with Crawley Town in a tight affair at the Moss Rose.

Bez Lubala’s superb freekick levelled the scores in a game which ebbed and flowed to and from each side.

Theo Archibald started brightly and inside the first minute he saw his shot curl over the Crawley bar from just outside the box.

With both teams beginning to find their feet early in the game, Crawley came forward through dangerman Bez Lubala. His trickery got him to the edge of the box where he unleashed a shot at Evans, but the keeper gathered well.

Macc seemed to be targeting the flanks in the opening period with Archibald and Corey O’Keeffe providing the width for the Silkmen. The tactic eventually paid dividends, when the latter’s quick feet forced a corner for the home side which resulted in the opening goal of the game.

After bobbling around the box, the ball fell to Theo Vassell who made no mistake in prodding home his second goal of the season in the 21st minute.  

Macc kept a firm grip on the game with McMahon’s backline doing well to keep a dangerous Crawley team at bay. However, Macc created their own problems in the 40th minute when a defensive mix up led to Lubala have time and space to shoot inside the box.

The game would have been levelled if not for a sensational last- ditch challenge from goalscorer Vassell, who proved his worth at both ends of the pitch throughout the game.

Crawley had another chance to equalise shortly after when Josh Doherty nipped the ball into Nathan Ferguson inside the box, but his effort flew over the bar in a situation where he should’ve done better.   

After half time, Crawley began to attack the Macc defence more intensely and in the opening stages of the half, Grego-Cox fired an effort just wide of Evans’ right hand post.

Macc survived an onslaught on attacks from the visitors but they nearly came close to a second through the excellent Archibald. After cutting inside, he unleashed one of his textbook shots which forced Morris into a fingertip save.

On the hour mark, the Silkmen came forward through Ironside and Stephens in the search for another goal. Ironside found Stephens in space who turned smartly and powered a low effort towards goal which Morris flicked around his right stick.

Macc coped with Lubala well all game but nobody could stop his freekick from equalising in the 72nd minute. The forward stepped up to curl a shot over the wall and past Evans to put Crawley back in the game.

The visitors should have taken the lead five minutes after when Lubala’s shot was parried into the path of Olliie Palmer, but the striker could only smash his effort wide of the post from just a few yards out.

Crawley were clearly buoyed by the goal and began their hunt for a winner. Palmer was again the man threatening but his free header at the back post sailed wide.

Macc put on a late push for a winner but ultimately, their efforts resulted in nothing. After a tight game between two sides in similar league positions, Macc will be disappointed not to pick up all three points after gaining the lead midway through the first half.

Macclesfield Town: Evans, O'Keeffe (Horsfall 78'), Welch-Hayes, Kelleher, Vassell, Archibald, Kirby, Harris, Osadebe, Stephens (Gnahoua 67'), Ironside (Gomis 90').

Subs not used: Charles-Cook, Clarke, Ntambwe

Advertisement block