Skip to main content Skip to site footer

The Complete Record Of Colchester United's Visits To The Moss Rose

27 September 2019

The Silkmen have entertained Colchester United on six previous occasions and ahead their seventh visit tomorrow, we take a look back at each of these.
The first time that The U's made the long journey up to the Moss Rose was on 6th October 1990.
On a drab, autumnal afternoon, Peter Wragg's side reigned victorious against the Vauxhall Conference newcomers thanks to a sublime Darren Heesom strike.
The likeable defender was not particularly known for his prowess in front of goal, yet he followed this up with his second goal of the season at Stafford Rangers the following week!
The next time the two sides were to meet at the Moss Rose was to contest an FA Trophy Semi-Final Second Leg encounter on 10th April 1992.
The U's entered the Friday night clash firmly in the ascendancy, courtesy of a 3 - 0 victory at Layer Road the previous Saturday. Despite this however, Peter Wragg's side looked to overturn this right from the off.
Waves and waves of pressure were unleashed on Scott Barrett's goal, before the deadlock was broken in the 20th minute through a clinical John Timmons strike.
At this point, the dream of returning to Wembley Stadium for the second time in three years was well and truly on.
Yet our hearts were to be broke on the stroke of half-time when Jason Cook's close-range effort beat 'keeper Steve Farrelly and effectively ended the game as a contest.
Ronnie Ellis, Colin Lambert and Paul Clayton all went close for the hosts during the second period, yet they could not prevent Roy McDonough's side from reaching the twin towers.
Just over a fortnight later, the two sides would meet at the Moss Rose to contest a Vauxhall Conference fixture and it turned out to be an absolute thriller.
The hosts would storm into a two goal lead within the opening 22 minutes - as Paul Kendall's unfortunate own-goal was added to by Tony English.
The Silkmen hit back five minutes later when popular midfielder Colin Lambert reduced the arrears.
Parity was to be restored two minutes after the interval, when Mick Doherty surged forward before firing a sublime twenty-five yard strike past Scott Barrett.
Macc would complete an inspired comeback just two minutes later, when skipper Elfyn Edwards slammed the ball home from ten yards out.
The title-chasing visitors refused to sit-back and accept defeat and would draw level on the hour mark, as player-manager Roy McDonough defiantly struck Colchester's third.
In what proved to be a pulsating finish to the game, Macc regained the lead almost instantly through Colin Lambert's second goal of the game.
Yet there was to be one last twist, as Tony English levelled the game once more fourteen minutes from time.
Colchester would go on to secure a Vauxhall Conference and FA Trophy double, which meant that The U's would not make their fourth visit to the Moss Rose until 4th November 1997.
In stark contrast to the previous meeting five years earlier, the game proved to be a tense and cagey affair, with the deadlock unable to be broken.
Sammy McIlroy's heroes were to achieve their second promotion in successive years at the end of that season and we were joined in the third tier by The U's who secured their place courtesy of the Nationwide League Division Three Play-Offs.
In the midst of a survival battle, Sammy's Silkmen faced Colchester on 13th March 1999 knowing that they had to pick up maximum points against the Essex side.
They duly achieved just that, as second half goals from Richard Landon and Alan Bailey secured a 2 - 0 victory.
Macc would ultimately suffer relegation that season and as a result, Colchester would not visit the Moss Rose for almost twenty years.
We renewed our acquaintances last February, when Scott Wilson's first half strike was cancelled our by Frank Nouble's penalty just after the interval.
All this means that our complete record against Colchester United at the Moss Rose is as follows -
Played 6. Won 3. Drawn 3. Lost 0.

Advertisement block