Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Oldham 0 v 1 Macclesfield

19 October 2019

A sensational Jak McCourt free kick helped Macc to back to back victories after a spirited performance at Boundary Park.

The midfielder’s winner alongside some incredible Macc defending ensured the Silkmen got all three points on a great afternoon in Oldham.

Macc dominated possession in the opening period but they struggled to conjure up any real chances to test Latics goalkeeper Zeus de la Paz.

The best of Macc’s play came from the flanks where Corey O’Keeffe had the beating of his marker, and the wideman was at the focal point for one of the Silkmen’s best moves in the first half. The loanee and Paddy Osadebe linked up smartly when the latter backheeled into the path of O’Keeffe inside the box, however the ball ran through to the Latics goalkeeper before he could unleash a shot.

Prior to that, Connor Kirby arrowed a volley straight at de la Paz from outside the area after good hold up play from Joe Ironisde. The striker battled to get on the end of Harris’ lofted pass, he managed to get to pick out Kirby who drilled the only shot on target in the first half straight at the keeper.

Oldham grew back into the game but Macc’s stubborn backline stopped the Latics from creating anything tangible. Theo Vassell looked calm on the ball and the midfield broke up play effectively to win possession back when needed.

The only real scare for the Silkmen in the first half came when Desire Segbe Azankpo wound up a shot that was ultimately smothered by the impressive Vassell. The home team’s struggles could be heard soon after in the 45th minute when Tom Hamer’s tame shot fell wide of goal to the ironic cheers of Oldham fans.

The home side grew back into the game in the second half and they looked the more likely team to score early on. Mohammed Maouche came close with a half volley that flew past Evans post in the 51st minute. The midfielder was the dangerman again for the Latics shortly after, his shot was beaten away by Evans after Welch-Hayes did well to block in the buildup.

It was then Macc’s turn to attack after the game had opened up after a tense first half. Archibald came close when he drilled his shot wide of the goal from outside the box and shortly after, he saw his effort fly over the bar after he was found in space by Ironside.

Theo Vassell was again the hero when he blocked Lewis McKinney’s run in the box after a dangerous cross in the 72nd minute. The defender was a colossus at the back all game as helped the Silkmen to stay in the game.

Macc’s breakthrough came late on in the 85th minute via a sensational Jak McCourt free kick. The returning midfielder smashed the ball into the Oldham net from the edge of the box to the delight of the travelling Silkmen.

Macc came under intense pressure for the remainder of the game but they just about pulled through thanks to more last ditch defending from the impenetrable back line.

McCourt’s winner helped to put together back to back victories as Daryl McMahon’s men continued to climb the Sky Bet League Two table.

Macclesfield Town: Evans, Vassell, Kelleher, Welch-Hayes, Archibald, Harris, Kirby (McCourt 80’), O’Keeffe, Osadebe, Gnahoua (Horsfall 90’), Ironside.

Subs: Charles-Cook, Stephens, Gomis, Ntambwe

Advertisement block