Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Maclesfield 2 v 1 Port Vale

12 October 2019

Macclesfield Town emerged victorious against Port Vale on derby day as the Silkmen battled from a goal down to take all three points at the Moss Rose.

Arthur Gnahoua cancelled out Ritchie Bennett’s header before Paddy Osadebe fired home to the delight of the Macc faithful.

The visitors started the game brightest and they got their just reward in the 11th minute, David Worrall’s whipped free kick was met by Ritchie Bennett who rose above the Macc defence to head the Valiants into the lead.

Worrall proved to be a constant threat in the first half with his searching crosses and set pieces often finding the Vale target men lurking in the penalty area, however Macc seemed to have no such luck. After conceding from a set piece, the Silkmen struggled to convert any of their own after a flurry of corners were swiftly cleared by Vale.

Theo Archibald tried to level the score in the 20th minute, but his textbook curling shot after cutting inside was saved well by Scott Brown who turned the ball around for yet another corner. This time Connor Kirby’s corner was met by a Silkmen head however Joe Ironside’s effort was straight at Brown in the middle of his goal.

The visitors proved to be resolute after slowing down the tempo after their goal and they limited Macc’s creativity for most of the half. Archibald’s powerful drive from a long range free kick was saved expertly by Brown and it looked to not be Macc’s day.

But that would soon change thanks to brilliant link up play between Corey O’Keeffe and Arthur Gnahoua which resulted in the latter levelling the score. The midfielders smart close control just inside the box from O’Keeffe’s driven cross allowed him to turn on a sixpence, and then he slammed his volley past the helpless Browne in the Vale goal.  

Macc will be annoyed that the half time whistle came so soon after Gnahoua’s 38th minute leveller, as the Silkmen began to really turn up the pressure on the Valiants. Kirby’s corner narrowly missed the head of ex-Vale man Theo Vassell and flew through the box and out for a throw.

Kirby was then the man to come close for Macc as he took aim from outside the box after Harris’ mis-control, but his effort trickled wide as the referee blew for time on the first half.

Macc began the second period with the same impetus and they should’ve taken the lead eight minutes into the half when Ironside headed Osadebe’s cross wide at the near post. Macc were by far the better team and their pace on the flanks was causing chaos for the visitors.

Deservedly, Macc took the lead in the 64th minute and it was from the right flank that the goal was created by an unlikely source in Miles Welch-Hayes. The defender drilled in a low cross which was left by everybody in the box, apart from Paddy Osadebe who lashed home for his fourth goal of the season.

The goal was fully deserved after a dominant period of football from Macc, however Vale soon grew back into the game after a series of attacking changes from Vale manager John Askey. Leon Legge powered Worrall’s corner over the crossbar before Jake Taylor tried his luck from range, but his Evans was equal to his shot.

Macc held on through a series of Vale corners and free kicks to ensure all three points remained in Cheshire as Paddy Osadebe’s strike proved to be the difference on Derby day.

Macclesfield: Evans, O’Keeffe, Vassell, Kelleher, Welch-Hayes, Archibald, Harris, Kirby, Osadebe, Gnahoua (McCourt 84’), Ironside.

Subs not used: Charles-Cook, Clarke, Stephens, Gomis, Ntambwe.

Advertisement block