Skip to main content Skip to site footer

The Complete History Of Our Trips To Brunton Park

29 October 2019

Macclesfield Town have made the trip up to Brunton Park on nine previous occasions and ahead of this weekend's tenth visit, we take a look back at each of these.
The first time that The Silkmen made the trip up to Cumbria was back on 15th April 2000, as Peter Davenport's side secured a debut victory at Brunton Park.
Forward Damien Whitehead proved to be the match-winner that day, as his 59th minute strike proved to be the difference between the two sides.
Gil Prescott was at the helm when we made our second visit to face The Cumbrians in March 2001 and despite seeing his side dominate for much of the contest, they would suffer a one-nil defeat that afternoon.
Our third visit came on April Fools Day 2002, yet there was to be nothing to laugh about that day as David Moss' men let a two goal lead slip in Cumbria.
Darren Tinson had opened the scoring in the 19th minute with a ferocious free-kick and our lead was doubled twenty minutes later with Danny Whitaker's looping twenty-five yard effort.
The hosts would reduce the deficit just four minutes after the interval, when Richie Foran confidently despatched his hotly-disputed penalty and that was how it stood until the game entered time added on at the end of the second half.
The drama began in the 92nd minute when Craig McAughtrie's acrobatic overhead kick flew past Steve Wilson to restore parity.
Seconds later, the former Hull 'keeper impeded Foran in the area and he stepped-up to fire home the winner from the penalty spot.
Our fourth trip over to Brunton Park came in March 2003 and although it was a much less entertaining fixture that the previous one, the overall outcome remained the same.
Mark Birch scored his first-ever Football League goal that day, as he fired home the only goal of the game from twelve-yards out.
David Moss' side returned to winning-ways in our fifth visit however, as Matthew Tipton's second half strike gave the visitors maximum points in October 2003.
Despite the fact that Macc had dominated much of the proceedings, Brian Horton's struggling Silkmen side were to claim nothing from our sixth trip to Brunton Park in September 2005.
After reaching the Sky Bet League Two Play-Offs the previous year, confidence was high going into the 2005/06 campaign - yet a 2 - 0 defeat against The Cumbrians represented our fourth successive away defeat.
Karl Hawley opened the scoring in the 77th minute as he ceased upon a defensive mistake and the arrears were doubled shortly after when an unmarked Glenn Murray headed home.
Our seventh trip to Brunton Park was to contest the LDV Trophy Northern Area Final - First Leg and dreams of a Millennium Stadium appearance were heightened early-on as defender Andy Smart gave us the lead.
Karl Hawley was to restore parity however and that was before Peter Murphy handed The Cumbrians a first leg advantage in the dying seconds of the tie.
Macc would record a 3 - 2 victory in the second leg and would therefore draw the clash 4 - 4 on aggregate. Yet it was Carlisle who progressed to the Final by virtue of the away goal rule.
Keith Alexander was in charge when we made our eighth trip up to Brunton Park and this was to contest a Johnstone's Paints Trophy Second Round tie.
Macc-lad Shaun Brisley opened the scoring deep into first half injury-time, yet Matty Robson would equalise for the hosts nineteen minutes into the second period.
Scott Dobie's innovative close-range flick would put the hosts into the ascendancy on 68 minutes and their lead would be extended shortly after through a Marc Bridge-Wilkinson header.
Dobie would fire his second of the game to hand Carlisle a three-goal cushion in the 80th minute and this rendered John Rooney's curling effort five minutes later a mere consolation.
The last time that we visited Brunton Park was last December, when Sol Campbell's men were in the midst of the most dramatic of survival campaigns.
Scott Wilson opened the scoring with barely two minutes on the clock that day, as he finished a flowing Silkmen move with a clinical strike.
Hallam Hope restored parity for the home side seconds before the interval however and this was followed by Jerry Yates' winner just two minutes from time.
All this means that our complete record at Brunton Park is as follows -
Played 9. Won 2. Drawn 0. Lost 7.

Advertisement block