Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Under 21s Claim A Point In Liverpool

28 October 2019

Macclesfield Town U21s showed great character to gain a point away from home, after twice coming back from a goal down. 

The Silkmen side were dominant throughout the fixture but ultimately will look on it as a point gained.

It was St Helens who took the lead after a clearance fell at the feet of Andy Scarisbrick who drove forward. His pace and power got him to the edge of the box and his scuffed shot somehow squirmed into the bottom corner and the young Silkmen side found themselves a goal down against the run of play. 

A team which consisted of 12 academy players would then show true resilience and determination to get the next goal. Some great play from captain Sean Holland set Liam Logan free down the right hand side and his cut back found Josh Clegg on the edge of the box whose effort cannoned off the woodwork.

It was then a constant barrage of Macclesfield attacks, but the clinical edge to the free flowing side was unquestionably missing. 

A poor clearance from the St Helens goalkeeper fell at the feet of Raymond Savi who went on a blistering run down the left to find Tyler James, he drove a shot at goal, and like Josh Clegg’s effort, beat everyone apart from the woodwork. This effort bouncing back out.

This brought the first half to a close and with one shot at goal and St Helens found themselves 1-0 up. 

At half-time, Youth Development Manager Paul McGuire reiterated that it was one of the best halves of football he’d seen the academy lads play and that they were just very unlucky to be 1-0 down.

The second half started like the first - with Macclesfield dominating.

Substitutes Charles Chilufya, Amadou Doumbouya, Trevor Kyobe and Ramani Manning were making a real impact.

A corner from Sean Holland then found the head of Connor Seymour, whose powerful header was saved but Amadou Doumbouya was on hand to poke in the rebound to restore parity.

The Silkmen then went on the attack to try and secure a second goal. Trevor Kyobe was then fouled on the edge of the box and Sean Holland decided to cut the ball back to Doumbouya - but his scuffed effort was cleared and St Helens countered. A ball was played to their number nine, James Barron who scuffed his shot and it somehow worked it way through Goalkeeper Daniel Whiting to put St Helens back into the lead.

We would have to wait until the 88th minute for the equaliser, another set piece which was excellently delivered by Sean Holland found the head of Amadou Doumbouya who powered his header into the top left corner. 

Although Macclesfield pushed for the winner, it would not come as the referee blew the final whistle with Tyler James through on goal. 

A great performance and some great character shown by the academy players. 

Advertisement block