Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Charlotte's Chat

7 October 2019

Saturday saw us make the mammoth 300 mile plus round trip to Cambridgeshire - to the Abbey Stadium, home of Cambridge United.
We travelled to Cambridge looking to continue to add to our points tally following our home game against Colchester where we secured a point last weekend.
I’m so glad we set off really early as the journey was just one big nightmare. What with roadworks, diversions and lines of traffic stretching for as long as the eye could see.
We arrived to Cambridge to crystal blue sky’s, and arrive at the ground following a walk along the common - it was so long I thought that I was walking back home to Macclesfield!
The team was announce and there were a few changes but the shape remains mostly the same from our previous encounters this season. It was good to see the players during there pre match warm up - all looking focus and determined for the game as always.
Macc got us underway attacking towards the Cambridge fans in the first half. The first shot of the game went to us but went wide of the goal.
Despite this the fell goal of the game fell to Cambridge. A shot from well out of the area which I think we should have done better with, but sadly we didn’t! This seemed to be the wake up call the players required as we had opportunities to equalise prior to the half time whistle.
We didn’t however and we went in to the break 1-0 down.
Joe Ironside came on to replace Virgil Gomis at the start of the second and really made a instant difference with his physical presence and his ability to hold the ball up.
We relied on our luck in the opening minutes of the second half however and a fabulous save from Owen Evans kept it at 1-0 before Theo Archibald’s magical shot floated over the Cambridge ‘keeper and in to the back of the net to draw us level.
Almost straight from the restart the lads were at it again, when Arthur Gnahoua gave us the lead. The noise made by the travelling support was so loud considering our numbers!
Cambridge equalised in the 78th minute, but the players kept fighting looking for that winner in the remaining by moments. I honestly thought we had it in added time when Theo Vassell rose above all those around him and his head connected with Connor Kirby’s free kick - only to see it float slightly over the crossbar.
See you all at the Moss against Vale!

Advertisement block