Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Macclesfield Town 0-0 Mansfield Town

16 November 2019

Macclesfield Town ended their four-match losing run after they were held to a 0-0 draw against Mansfield Town at Moss Rose this afternoon.

Daryl McMahon’s side had chances but were unable to break down a compact Mansfield defence in wet conditions in Cheshire.

Macclesfield started the game on the front foot and retained possession well in the stages. However, it was the visitors who had the first clear-cut chance of the game. In the 14th minute, Willem Tomlinson found half-a-yard of space on the edge of the box and he fired an effort which was comfortably saved by ‘keeper Owen Evans.

As the half wore on, The Silkmen played some good football without creating too many opportunities. Just before the half-hour mark, Arthur Gnahoua tried his luck from long range, but it flew well wide of target.

Nicky Maynard came close to open the scoring, four minutes before the break as his low drive was well kept out by Evans and Macclesfield eventually cleared the ball away from danger.

Then moments later, Theo Archibald’s lay-off found Gnahoua, who’s powerful attempt was palmed away by Conrad Logan, as the sides went into the half-time break level.

Mansfield began the second-half the brighter of the two sides and they created a superb chance to take the lead within the opening two minutes of the restart. Kellan Gordon whipped a dangerous cross towards the back post and it was met by Maynard, but he was unable to get the required connection on the shot.  

The Silkmen grew into the half, and started to dominate proceedings. In the 56th minute, Miles Welch-Hayes and Jay Harris had shots at goal, but both were excellently blocked and cleared away.

Maynard then had a superb opportunity to open the scoring when he has played in on-goal, but his poked effort rolled inches past Evans’ left-hand post.

Harris unleashed an ambitious shot from distance with just 18 minutes to go, but it whistled just wide via a deflection. 

Macclesfield pushed in an attempt to grab that elusive first goal, but they were unable to do so as Daryl’s side picked up their first point since the one-nil victory over Oldham Athletic back in mid-October.

Macclesfield: Evans, Kelleher, Vassell, Gnahoua, Harris, Stephens (Blyth 90+4’), Archibald (Ironside 47’), Welch-Hayes, Kirby, Fitzpatrick, Cameron

Unused subs: Charles-Cook, Horsfall, Ntambwe, Rose

Attendance: 2055

Advertisement block