Skip to main content Skip to site footer

The Complete History Of Cambridge United's Trips To The The Moss Rose

3 May 2019

Cambridge United make their tenth visit to the Moss Rose tomorrow and ahead of the game, we take a look back at their previous nine encounters.

The first time that we faced The U's was back in November 1997, when Sammy McIlroy's illustrious side claimed another three points on their way to back to back promotions.
Defender Mark Gardiner opened the scoring in the 21st minute and Phil Power was to double our advantage almost immediately after.
"The Maltese Falcon" was to claim his second of the game two minutes from time and although Cambridge did secure a consolation goal, that was all that it proved to be.
Our next meeting was just over a month later, when the two sides were paired together in the FA Cup Second Round.
Cambridge then made their third trip to the Moss Rose on 5th April 2003, as Kyle Lightbourne gave David Moss' side the lead four minutes before the interval.
Omar Riza would restore parity for the visitors on 67 minutes however, as The U's claimed their first point at the Moss.
The two sides would once again be drawn together in the FA Cup Second Round in December 2003.
Matthew Tipton fired the Silkmen ahead on 22 minutes, yet this was cancelled out in a matter of seconds later by John Turner.
A winner could not be found that day and the match will be best remembered for two heroic penalty saves by Steve Wilson.
Cambridge's first victory at the Moss Rose came in January 2004, as Luke Gutteridge's 49th minute strike proved to be the difference between the two sides.
The next encounter came the following October when Matthew Tipton put Brian Horton's men into the lead just after the interval.
The U's would claim a share of the spoils however, as they equalised with just ten minutes left on the clock.
The U's would make their seventh visit to the Moss Rose in December 2005 to contest an LDV Trophy Northern Section Quarter Final tie.
Clyde Wijnhard gave the Silkmen the lead after just 12 minutes, only for David Bridges to respond five minutes later.
Kevin Sandwith's clinical strike restored our lead just after the half hour mark and Dutchman Wijnhard added a third right on the stroke of half time.
Jon Parkin fired home a fourth mid-way through the second period and despite Paul Atkins reducing the arrears with four minutes left to play, it was to prove in vain as Macc marched through.
That completes our Football League record, yet Cambridge have made the journey up to the Moss Rose to contest National League fixtures on two occasions.
The first of which was back in April 2013, when goals from Pablo Mills and Guy Madjo handed John Askey's side maximum points.
The last time that The U's visited the Moss Rose was back in April 2014 and they claimed maximum points due to a solitary goal victory.
All this means that the complete record against The U's at the Moss Rose is as follows -
Played 9. Won 4. Drawn 3. Lost 2.

Advertisement block