Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Yeovil Town 0 - 2 Macclesfield Town

16 March 2019

Two first half goals from James Pearson and Harry Smith saw us overcome Yeovil Town on a windy afternoon at Huish Park.

In what could only have been billed as a must win game ahead of kick-off, the team went for the victory from the off and were rewarded with three precious points.

The Silkmen had the better of the first half after weathering some early Yeovil pressure which saw Fisher hit the post for the hosts when it looked easier to score.

Minutes later, however, Macc got their first when Ben Stephens picked out James Pearson who was arriving at the far post, and he kept his cool to slot us into the lead just before the 20-minute mark.

Then came Yeovil’s most threatening spell of the half, which saw them have the ball cleared off the line twice in two minutes as some desperate defending kept our lead intact.

The hosts offered little for the rest of the half and Pearson almost bagged his second of the game when his cross was taken by the wind and almost into Nathan Baxter’s net.

Then came the second, Reece Cole whipped a delightful ball into towards the far post and Harry Smith guided the ball past Baxter from a couple of yards out to double our advantage.

O’Hara also played his part in the first half, an acrobatic attempt from six yards out looked destined to hit the back of the net; but our stopper had different ideas and somehow clawed the ball away from danger with an inspired save.

Smith almost made it three just before the interval, but his curling effort from 20 yards went just wide of the far post.

Early in the second half, Elliott Durrell tried his luck with an audacious chipped effort, but his attempt sailed comfortably over Baxter and the Yeovil crossbar.

Smith almost made it three mid-way through the second half when he held off Grant and struck a volley, but the Yeovil man managed to get his foot to the ball and deflect it away to safety.

Francois Zoko came close for the hosts on the 70-minute mark when he took the ball around O’Hara, but our stopper forced him wide and his resulting cross missed all of Yeovil’s advancing players in the area.

Smith went through one on one late in the game as Yeovil threw everyone forward, but he was caught out when trying to round Baxter who smartly grabbed the ball from his feet.

Yeovil would have one more opportunity to get a goal, but Tom James saw his free-kick fly high and wide much to the delight of the travelling Silkmen faithful.

The result sees us move off the bottom of the table and up to within three points of The Glovers on a productive afternoon which demonstrated the fight and determination which will be crucial going into the business end of this campaign.

Advertisement block