Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Macclesfield Town 1 - 3 MK Dons

9 March 2019

Despite Nathan Cameron’s second goal in his last three games, two second half strikes for promotion hunters Milton Keynes Dons ensured they would leave Moss Rose with all the spoils.

The Silkmen skipper opened the deadlock after 19 minutes, bundling home under the crossbar following a free-kick.

David Wheeler then equalised for MK from a set-piece routine of their own, glancing in at the front post moments before the interval.

Callum Brittain fired MK ahead almost 10 minutes into the second half, scoring on the rebound after a smart Kieran O’Hara save. Kieran Agard then wrapped up the points later on.

Sol Campbell made nine changes to the side that lost at Bury last week, Stelios Demetriou, Botti Biabi and Liandro Martis all starting for the Silkmen for the first time.

However, Macc were quiet in the opening phases of this fixture, as the Dons retained the possession but failed to muster any chances. 

Zak Jules had the Silkmen’s first shot, but his header drifted wide, before the Dons squandered a better chance up the other end – James Pearson brilliantly blocking Alex Gilbey’s goal-bound drive.

It was not long before Cameron put the Silkmen ahead, nodding home from close-range. Agard looked for an immediate reply, but O’Hara made an easy save. 

Macc had the chance to extend their lead before the break, firstly when Pearson struck the crossbar with an ambitious effort from the right, before Elliott Durrell collected the ball at the back post and shot straight at Stuart Moore who had to quickly scramble across his goal line.

Yet, Wheeler killed any momentum before the break with his late header.

Half-time: Macclesfield Town 1-1 Milton Keynes Dons

MK came out the brighter, but Agard missed a huge chance for the visitors by dragging wide from 8-yards. Brittain then made amends, making it 2-1 five minutes later.

Agard again missed a golden opportunity to make it three when the ball dropped to him in the 6-yard box, but O’Hara stood strong to make the save. 

The 22-year-old was then forced into two more fantastic saves to keep Macc in the game, denying Wheeler with a diving parry and then with his foot from close range.

Substitute Harry Smith collected fellow-replacement Reece Cole’s long ball, but could only volley wide, before his provider in that instance whipped a free-kick agonisingly over the bar.

Although, just when Macc looked to be building some momentum, Agard headed home a rebound following another O’Hara save, this time from Hesketh’s drive.

Ben Stephens had a chance to give the Silkmen a lifeline after Callum Evans found him lurking at the back post, but his diving header missed the target.

The Silkmen will be disappointed to have come away with nothing, but it was far from a poor showing from the men in blue. High flyers MK were the better side on the day.

Full-time: Macclesfield Town 1-3 Milton Keynes Dons

Macclesfield Town: O’Hara, Durrell, Lloyd, Stephens, Evans, Pearson, Cameron, Demetriou, Jules, Biabi (Smith 59’), Martis (Cole 65’).

Unused subs: Kelleher, Welch-Hayes, Vincenti, Idem, Mullings.

Milton Keynes Dons: Moore, Lewington, Walsh, Cisse (Houghton 46’), Gilbey, Aneke (Hesketh 73’), Agard, Martin, McGrandles, Wheeler, Brittain.

Unused subs: Nicholls, Watson, Simpson, Harley, Walker.

By Matt Bates

Advertisement block