Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Caught On Camera: February

6 June 2019

We continue our pictorial look back at the 2018/19 season by taking you back to February.

The month began with a trip to promotion-hopefuls Mansfield Town and despite going behind to an eight minute Jorge Grant strike, Sol Campbell's men restored parity three minutes before the interval when Callum Evans fired home his first goal of the season from fifteen yards out.

The visitors looked to capitalise on this early in the second half, with Scott Wilson and Tyrone Marsh both desperately unlucky not to put Macc into the ascendancy. 

The Stags proceeded to take full advantage of this, as they took the lead on 56 minutes when Krystian Pearce scrambled the ball home following an alright melee in the six yard box.

With The Silkmen committing men forward in a bid to force a second equaliser, the hosts sealed their victory a minute from time when Tyler Walker claimed his twentieth goal of the season from close-range.

Macc were intent on bouncing-back from the defeat and returned to the Moss Rose for a double-header against Crewe Alexandra and Colchester United.

Jordan Bowery gave the visitors the lead in just the third minute, as he delicately sent the ball over Kieran O'Hara and into the vacant net. Yet Macc would force themselves back on level terms twelve minutes later, as Scott Wilson fired home from close range.

Chris Porter then converted a 32nd minute penalty to restore Crewe's lead and that was how it stayed until Nathan Cameron forced the ball home sixteen minutes from time.

With both sides unwilling to settle for a share of the spoils, the game became stretched and us such chances were aplenty in the closing exchanges.

Five minutes into injury-time, George Ray's powerful header sent the Alex fans wild, yet Reece Cole was to dramatically draw the sides level with a majestic strike with essentially the last kick of an enthralling game.

Seven days later, Colchester United made the long journey up to the Moss Rose as they bid to continue their promotion assault.

Scott Wilson put the home side into the ascendancy a minute before half-time, as he launched an innovative exchange with Harry Smith before firing the ball home.

The U's would equalise just two minutes after the restart however, as Courtney Senior was adjudged to have been impeded in the box and Frank Nouble despatched the resultant spot-kick.

February came to an end with a trip to Crawley Town, as Sol Campbell saw his side claim a 40th minute lead when Harry Smith's glancing header was perfectly directed into the far corner of the net.

As a result, Macc extended their scoring record to eleven consecutive games and despite the fact that chances to double the lead came at regular intervals, Lewis Young's late strike meant that the spoils would ultimately be shared.

Advertisement block