Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Games Of The Season: Yeovil Town (A)

4 June 2019

The Silkmen made the gargantuan journey down to Somerset in mid-March, as we faced Yeovil Town in what was billed as a relegation six-pointer down against The Glovers.

On a windy afternoon down at Huish Park, Sol Campbell's side took to the field knowing that victory may well prove to be crucial in the survival fight which mesmerised us all.

Buoyed by an incredibly vocal travelling support, the visitors began in the ascendancy with Ben Stephens and Harry Smith both trying their luck during the early exchanges.

There were heart-stopping moments at the other end too however - most notably when Alex Fisher found himself staring into the eyes of Kieran O'Hara and despite slipping the ball past the Manchester United loanee, saw it cannon off the near post.

As the first half evolved, Macc grew in confidence and began to play the sort of attacking, expansive football which elicited much optimism from the travelling contingent.

Our reward came on 18 minutes and the nature of it exemplified the type of football which was on show from the visitors.

A flowing move ended when Ben Stephens whipped a tantalising ball into the penalty area and the onrushing James Pearson connected perfectly with it to fire home his first goal for the club.

The Glovers then launched a revival of sorts, as they forced a succession of corners - yet they were limited to largely speculative efforts in their bid to restore parity.

And when the hosts looked like they had found a way through, David Fitzpatrick was perfectly placed to head the ball off the line to preserve our lead.

This was to be extended just after the half-hour mark, when Reece Cole's pinpoint cross was guided into the back of the net by Harry Smith.

This sparked celebrations which mirrored the importance of the strike - yet as the team marched in for the half time interval, nobody was under any illusions that the job was complete.

Early in the second half Elliott Durrell launched a nonchalant effort which looked to have lobbed the Yeovil 'keeper, yet the ball just didn't drop quick enough and sailed over the crossbar.

Harry Smith was also unlucky not to double his personal tally on numerous occasions during the second period, as the visitors controlled much of the closing exchanges.

The closest that The Glovers came to reducing the arrears came on 70 minutes, when Francois Zoko took the ball around O'Hara - yet was forced wide of goal and his subsequent cross evaded the advancing cavalry.

As soon as the referee brought proceedings to an end, the players and fans united as one in defiant celebration.

It was a clash which will long live in the memory and unquestionably played a critical part in our ultimate success.

Here are the match highlights -

Advertisement block