Skip to main content Skip to site footer

This Week In History

29 January 2019

In a new feature for the official site, we take a look back at what happened at Macclesfield Town between 27th January and 2nd February over the years.

100 years ago - With the world recovering from the cataclysm of World War One, competitive action remained suspended at this point back in 1919.

Our last league fixture came almost four years prior, as Altrincham were defeated 3 - 1 in the Lancashire Combination. There were plans in place for Macc to join the Cheshire League going through at the time and Macc would ultimately resume competitive action the following August.

50 years ago - After Keith Goalen had led The Silkmen to Cheshire League glory in 1968, Frank Beaumont's side were looking to win the Northern Premier League at the first attempt.

They would ultimately be successful in this, yet fifty years ago the side travelled to Moss Lane to take on Altrincham in the first leg of the North West Floodlight League final.

After progressing from a division which included Northwick Victoria, Witton Albion, Skelmersdale and South Liverpool, Macc took a goalless draw into the return leg at the Moss Rose in front of 5478 people.

25 years ago - After taking over at the Moss Rose during the previous summer, Sammy McIlroy was enjoying a solid start to his Macclesfield Town tenure twenty-five years ago.

After securing a 4 - 3 victory against Bromsgrove Rovers in Sammy's first home league game, The Silkmen headed down for the return fixture looking for a similar showing.

Sammy's men had a rare off day in the Midlands however, going down by three goals to nil at the Victoria Ground.

1 year ago - This time last year, John Askey's National League leaders faced basement club Torquay United at the Moss Rose.

After dominating for large spells of the game, Danny Whitehead opened the scoring on 72 minutes with a thunderous twenty-five yard effort which flew past Vincent Dorel in the visitor's goal.

Fighting for their fifth tier lives, The Gulls rallied and restored parity six minutes later when Elliott Romain seized of a defensive lapse to fire home in front of a shell-shocked Star Lane End.

Advertisement block