Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Macclesfield Town 3 v 3 Crewe Alexandra

9 February 2019

Reece Cole's stunning first goal for The Silkmen gave Macclesfield Town a share of the spoils, in an entertaining Cheshire derby at the Moss Rose this afternoon.

In front of an electric atmosphere, the visitors took the lead after just three minutes when Jordan Bowery broke the offside trap, before confidently guiding the ball over the advancing Kieran O'Hara and into the empty net.

Reminiscent of our last home fixture against Oldham Athletic, the Silkmen players joined with the Moss Rose faithful to defiantly fight back.

Scott Wilson and Reece Cole both went close for the home site in the immediate aftermath of going behind and their expansive style of play was proving to be something which The Railwaymen could not contain at times.

Their was an urgency in Macc's play which was indicative of a group of players who are giving their all for the cause and Sol Campbell's men would get their reward on the quarter-hour mark when Scott Wilson tenaciously created an opportunity for himself six yards out - before slipping the ball past Ben Garratt in the Crewe goal.

After parity had been restored, the visitors looked to regain their advantage straight away. Callum Ainley then hit a delicate twenty-five yard effort which brushed the outside of the far post, before O'Hara made a phenomenal save from George Ray's pinpoint header shortly after.

Whilst the home side went on to dominate play, Crewe remained a potent threat on the counter and this was exemplified on 21 minutes when Chris Porter created space down the left, before his ferocious drive was deflected wide of goal by Miles Welch-Hayes.

A lull in the frantic tempo then followed and a war of attrition briefly ensued, before Porter was adjudged to have been brought down by O'Hara in the penalty area and then he stepped up to roll the resultant spot-kick home in front of the Star Lane End faithful.

The goal catalysed the visitors, who proceeded to look for a third strike in the quickest time possible. Porter then had a bullet header spectacularly saved by O'Hara, before Wilson created space down the left and found Michael Rose on the edge of the area - who was unlucky to see his low drive well saved by Garratt.

Three minutes after the restart, Wilson proved to be the danger man once more - as he seized on a poor back-pass, before clipping the ball just wide of the far post.

Two minutes later Paul Green stormed down the right, before cutting inside and unleashing a venomous drive which home debutant Zak Jules bravely lay his body on the line to block.

Green then hit a speculative effort over O'Hara's crossbar from twenty yards out, before the Manchester United loanee made his third world-class save of the content when he athletically tipped Green's low drive through a crowded area around the far post.

Liandro Martis was then introduced to add a devastating amount of pace to the Macc forward line, before the Star Lane End was in raptures once more as The Silkmen equalised for a second time.

A corner from the right was swung into the box and Crewe 'keeper Garratt seemed to have it under control - yet the ball was bundled over the line thanks to copious amounts of pressure from Nathan Cameron.

With just over fifteen minutes left on the clock, the Moss Rose crowd were in fervently in the belief that a winner was only a matter of time away and this was highlighted when our blue and white clad warriors took advantage of a Crewe player receiving treatment to come over to the technical area to replenish their energy levels.

Once again, the pride, passion and belief of our loyal fans made everyone think that maximum points would be claimed against all the odds.

On 80 minutes, a majestic run through the Crewe ranks by Fiacre Kelleher saw the Irishman find Wilson on the left hand side. Last season's leading goalscorer found Martis and his low drive from an acute angle smashed the foot of the near post before rebounding into the grateful arms of Ben Garratt.

Zak Jules then hit a ten yard effort fractionally over the angle, as Macc clearly were fighting with every last ounce of defiance that they could muster.

As the Fourth Official held his board aloft which signalled that a minimum of five minutes injury time would be played, Wilson created space on the edge of the area and curled a pristine effort across the face of goal - yet agonisingly wide of the far post.

Crewe then earned a corner in the dying second of the game which was drifted in by Lowery and Alex skipper George Ray emphatically headed the ball into the ground and past O'Hara to surely hand the visitors all three points.

Yet in an incredible showing of fight and desire, Macc sensationally claimed a precious point when Reece Cole picked up the ball twenty yards from goal and fired the ball across the face of goal and into the far corner of the net.

The scenes at the end of the game manifested them as a statement to all our doubters - backed by our devoted supporters, this team will never give up the battle to retain our EFL status and this afternoon proved just that.

Macclesfield Town: O'Hara, Hodgkiss (Jules '45), Kelleher, Wilson, Welch-Hayes, Evans (Martis '69), Arthur (Smith '62), Rose, Cameron, Cole, Ntambwe.

Subs not used: Idem, Demetriou, Lloyd, Biabi.

Attendance: 3772

Advertisement block