Skip to main content Skip to site footer

This Week In History

6 February 2019

In the second instalment of a new feature for the official site, we take a look back at what happened at Macclesfield Town between 3rd - 9th February over the years.

125 years ago - Macclesfield were members of The Combination League and travelled to face Everton Reserves on 3rd February 1874.

The match proved to captivate the Merseyside's imagination, as 6,000 people were in attendance for our visit.

Macclesfield would suffer a 7 - 2 defeat that day however, with the visitor's goals coming from Joe Rogers and A. Hall.


105 years ago - As Europe ebbed ever closer to the cataclysm of World War, Macclesfield looked to preserve their three match unbeaten run in the Lancashire Combination Second Division with a trip to Rochdale on 7th February 1914.

Bithell scored the only goal of the game that day, as the visitors claimed maximum points in Lancashire.

The prolific striker scored a phenomenal nineteen goals in twenty-two appearances for the club that season - easily finishing as our top scorer.


70 years ago - With The Silkmen now competing in the Cheshire League, Player / Manager William Edwards' side faced a Cheshire Senior Cup First Round tie against Stockport County on 5th February 1949.

Macc had already lifted the coveted trophy on seven previous occasions and 5,100 spectators packed into the Moss Rose to witness our latest assault.

This was to be short-lived however, as Stockport secured their progression by virtue of a 2 - 0 victory.

Edwards was to relinquish his role at the end of that season and was replaced by the popular Bert Swindles.


45 years ago - Then in the Northern Premier League, Eddie Brown's Silkmen locked horns with Worksop Town on 9th February 1974 to contest an FA Trophy Second Round Replay after the two sides had previously fought out a 2 - 2 draw in Nottinghamshire.

Braces from Bruce Birtwistle and Alan Wilcockson secured a 4 - 0 victory that day and this set up a mouth-watering home tie with close neighbours Buxton in the Third Round.


25 years ago - After a goalless draw with Northwick Victoria the previous Saturday, Sammy McIlroy's new-look Macclesfield Town side returned to the Moss Rose on 8th February 1994 to contest a Cheshire Senior Cup Third Round tie with Colwyn Bay.

The match had been scheduled to take place three weeks prior, yet adverse weather conditions rendered the hallowed turf unplayable.

New signing Darren Lyons was eager to put on a show in front of his new Manager and he gave Macc the lead after just three minutes.

John Askey doubled our lead five minutes later, before Lyons added a third with barely fifteen minutes on the clock.

The mesmerising winger was to complete his hat-trick four minutes before the interval and despite the Welshmen managing to find a consolation goal, second half strikes from Chris Sharratt, Andy Atkinson and a fourth from Lyons handed McIlroy's side an emphatic 7 - 1 victory.

Yet that wasn't to be the end of the story.......

Shortly after, the club were informed that our four-goal hero had been ineligible to play in the tie - due to the fact that he was not registered prior to the scheduled first match.

The Silkmen were subsequently removed from the competition and despite suffering such a heavy defeat, it was Colwyn Bay who progressed.


5 years ago - John Askey's Macclesfield Town reigned victorious in a five goal thriller against Steve Burr's Chester at the Moss Rose on 4th February 2014.

Gareth Seddon fired the visitors ahead after 19 minutes, yet this was cancelled out just three minutes later when Scott Boden's close range header restored parity.

The Silkmen were to take the lead just after the half hour mark, when Steve Williams beautifully connected with a Peter Winn cross to head home.

Chris Holroyd extended our lead nine minutes after the interval and although John Rooney's majestic volley halved the deficit two minutes from time, Macc comfortably saw out the remaining period to claim maximum points.

Advertisement block