Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Walsall 1 v 1 Macclesfield

14 December 2019

Miles Welch-Hayes first goal of the season was not enough to take all three points at the Bank’s Stadium as Macc returned to action.

Wes McDonald’s second half strike ensured the spoils would be shared despite Macc being forced to survive a late onslaught from hosts Walsall.

Macc started on the front foot and it wasn’t long before their slick counter attacking football created the first goal. In the 12th minute, Jay Harris manufactured the chance with a surging run, a quick give-and-go to Gnahoua followed before the ball found its way to Welch-Hayes on the corner of the box, he cut inside and lashed the ball past Roberts’ for his first goal of the season.

Macc’s pressure continued as they looked to exploit spaces out wide in the Walsall back line. McCourt’s curling shot went wide before Gnahoua nodded Welch-Hayes cross into the keeper’s hands.

As the half progressed, Walsall crept into the game. Mat Sadler’s header was flicked around the post by Evans after Danny Guthrie’s corner with 25 minutes on the clock. Macc held onto their lead, partly down to poor chance taking from the Saddlers. Josh Gordon did well to evade Nathan Cameron inside the box, but the defender recovered and cleared the ball to safety.

Macc took a healthy one goal lead into the break and it should’ve been doubled soon after the restart. Osadebe fed the ball to Gnahoua inside the Saddlers box, but his shot flew over the bar when he should’ve at least made Roberts work.

The Silkmen sensed blood and it was Harris who was next to have a shot at goal. His deflected effort from 35 yards clipped the crossbar and fell wide – another glorious chance for Macc.

Walsall would see a goal line scramble cleared by Fitzpatrick on the hour mark in one of the more threatening attacks from the home side.

The Saddlers next dangerous attack would result in the equaliser. Cameron Pring’s pass found Wes McDonald who cut inside and curled past Evans to bring the game level.

The Silkmen had to soak up intense pressure after the goal as Walsall looked to find a winner. Evan’s heroics from a Josh Gordon shot and a Dan Scarr header kept Macc in the game as the hosts looked buoyed after McDonalds goal.

David Fitzpatrick’s poor backpass was latched onto by substitute Adebayo who rounded Evans, but his shot was cleared off the line by a retreating Macc defender – a huge let off for apologetic full back.

The game had really opened up and now it was Macc’s turn to attack, Harris powerful drive was palmed into the feet of Nathan Cameron with the goal gaping, but he was stood in an offside position as he skied his shot over the bar.

Walsall couldn’t find their winner and the game finished in a one all draw, a result Daryl McMahon will be relatively please about on Macc’s return to action.

Macclesfield Town: Evans, McCourt, Kelleher, Gnahoua (Ironside 79’), Harris, Welch-Hayes, Horsfall, O’Keeffe, Osadebe, Fitzpatrick, Cameron.

Subs: Charles-Cook, Clarke, Blyth, Gomis, Ntambwe

Advertisement block