Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Macclesfield Town 0 v 1 Morecambe

20 August 2019

Daryl McMahon’s first game in charge of Macclesfield Town resulted in defeat against Morecambe, in a game where the Silkmen dominated for much of the affair.

The Silkmen could not make an hour of pressure count as the Shrimps took all three points, courtesy of a Richie Sutton header.

Macc controlled the first half with ease and had several chances to break the deadlock, if not for the woodwork and the heroics of Shrimps goalkeeper Barry Roche.

The first real chance of the game fell to Jak McCourt who saw his thunderous free kick deflected wide of the post in the ninth minute.

Theo Archibald nearly produced another moment of magic shortly after, but his rasping volley from outside the box hammered the crossbar and went behind for a goal kick.

Owen Evans was called into action in the 28th minute when Shrimps midfielder John O’Sullivan unleashed a shot from range, which the loanee gathered comfortably.

The best chance of the half fell to Silkmen captain Kelle­­­­­her as he rose highest to McCourt’s corner, however Morecambe ‘keeper Roche flew across his goal to tip the header onto the post.

The Silkmen also had a late penalty claim turned down by referee Marsden. Ben Stephens floated a ball into the box and Ironside appeared to be pushed to ground by a Morecambe defender, but nothing was given.

Macc started the second half in the ascendency and began their hunt for the first goal straight from the off. The ball dropped nicely for Jay Harris to test Roche, but his attempt was saved easily by the keeper.

With the McMahon’s men controlling possession, Jak McCourt found himself in space and looked to find the head of the lurking Joe Ironside in the box but the striker did not connect well, and the ball was gathered easily.

Despite constant pressure from Macc, the Shrimps opened the scoring in the 64th minute. Macc cleared a free kick, but the ball fell to defender Steven Old on the left-hand side who whipped a cross into the waiting Richie Sutton to head past Evans.

The visitors goal seemed to deflate Macc and they struggled to gain a foothold for the remainder of the game. Morecambe hit the post in the 77th minute after Shaun Miller latched onto a Harris backpass, his effort from wide rolled onto the post and was cleared by Macc.

McMahon’s side battled for an equaliser but alas, Sutton’s header proved to be the difference on a wet evening at the Moss Rose.

Macclesfield Town; Evans, Welch-Hayes, Kelleher, Vassell, Archibald, Harris, McCourt (Kirby 75’), Clarke (O’Keeffe 66’), Osadebe, Stephens (Gomis 75’), Ironside.

Subs not used: Charles-Cook, Horsfall, Blyth.

Advertisement block