Skip to main content Skip to site footer

The Complete History Of Leyton Orient's Visits To The Moss Rose

7 August 2019

Leyton Orient have made the trip up to the Moss Rose on nine previous occasions and ahead of Saturday's tenth visit, we take a look back at each of these.

The first time that the O's made the journey up from East London was back in February 1998, as they met Sammy McIlroy's illustrious Silkmen side who had their eyes firmly fixed on back-to-back promotions.

In a close encounter, Macc claimed another tenacious home victory thanks to Martin McDonald's 14th minute strike.

The match also saw Ryan Price put in a fabulous performance between the posts, just hours after being at the birth of his daughter.

The East Londoners would return to the Moss Rose in December 1999 and would suffer the same fate.

Former Manchester United midfielder Simon Davies would be the match-winner that day, as he struck just before the hour mark to hand the hosts maximum points.

Orient would secure their first victory at the Moss Rose on the last day of the 2000/01 season, as Gil Prescott's suffered a 2 - 0 defeat.

Jabo Ibehre opened the scoring a minute before the interval and would end the game as a contest eleven minutes from time by hammering home his second.

Macc would claim revenge the following December though, despite the fact that Orient would take a 9th minute lead through Steve Watts.

David Moss' side fought back and two quick-fire goals at the end of the first half completed the comeback.

Parity was restored by a Jeff Smith free-kick on 43 minutes and barely sixty seconds later, Chris Byrne fired the Silkmen ahead.

The second half saw both sides pass up chances to extend the scoring and Macc claimed all three points.

The fifth time that Leyton Orient visited the Moss Rose was back on 11th March 2003.

Danny Whitaker opened the scoring for David Moss' side in the 18th minute, yet our lead was to last just four minutes before Lee Thorpe struck Orient's equaliser.

The second half saw an inspired performance from striker Matthew Tipton, as he hit a thirteen minute brace to secure a 3 - 1 victory.

Former Stoke City forward Martin Caruthers was on target during Orient's sixth visit to the Moss Rose in April 2004.

His strike on the hour mark proved to be decisive, as new manager Brian Horton's saw his side secure a one-nil victory.

The following season saw the Silkmen make the League Two play-offs and were helped in this by a 3 - 1 victory over the East Londoners in March 2005.

Jon Parkin opened the scoring just after the half hour mark, although parity was restored five minutes after the interval when Lee Steele fired home.

The teams were level for just three minutes however, as Matthew Tipton restored our lead on 50 minutes, before Paul Harsley sealed the win sixteen minutes from time.

The last time Leyton Orient travelled to the Moss Rose to contest an EFL fixture was back in November 2005, yet it was an easily forgettable occasion as both defences cancelled each other out and the game finished goalless.

The current record is completed with reference to our meeting back in April 2018, with the Silkmen on the brink of the National League title.

After a tense opening period Danny Whitaker produced another moment of magic to fire us into the lead after 17 minutes, yet Josh Koroma equalised from close-range just before the interval to delay our celebrations for another week.

All the above means that our complete record against Leyton Orient at the Moss Rose is as follows -

Played 9. Won 6. Drawn 2. Lost 1.

Advertisement block