Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Macclesfield Town 1-1 Morecambe

6 April 2019

Macclesfield Town played out an entertaining 1-1 draw with Morecambe in a game that could have gone either way at the Moss Rose.

Morecambe had the best of the early chances, with Liam Mandeville spurning a great opening for the visitors in the opening couple of minutes, before long range efforts from Luke Conlan and Aaron Collins saw the Shrimps dominate the early exchanges.

Macc started to grow into the game on the 10-minute mark with James Pearson getting the better of Luke Conlan on more than one occasion down the right-hand side, but no-one in blue could connect with his crosses on either occasion.

Then came Morecambe’s opener.

Zak Mills tried his luck from distance, but O’Hara and Jules managed to scramble his effort behind for a corner; but from the resulting corner the ball was flicked on to Mills who made no mistake from close in and flicked the ball past a helpless O’Hara.

The Silkmen responded well to going behind and immediately started to put more pressure on the Morecambe goal, and were rewarded just minutes later when Elliott Durrell levelled the scores just after the half hour mark.

Ben Stephens did well to get onto the end of a long ball over the Morecambe defence before laying the ball off to Scott Wilson who found Elliott Durrell, who was arriving late to smash the ball into the bottom left corner, leaving Barry Roach with no chance in the Morecambe goal.

Macc almost scored again just minutes later when Reece Cole saw his 25-yard free kick cannon back off the post before being scrambled away to safety by the Morecambe defence.

Just before the end of the half, Morecambe had the ball in the net for the second time, but Kevin Ellison was judged to have been in an offside position after nodding Aaron Collins’ knock on past O’Hara.

Contrary to the first half, Macclesfield took control of the game from the beginning of the second period, with Elliott Durrell and Scott Wilson testing Barry Roche in the Morecambe goal.

Reece Cole then tested Roche from distance as the second half moved into its midway point, but his effort was tipped behind for a corner.

From the resulting set play, Nathan Cameron came close, but his goalward header had too much on it and looped onto the top of the net.

The introduction of Harry Smith gave Macc a different option up front, but despite getting onto the end of a cross minutes after being introduced, he was unable to divert his header goalward.

Steven Old came close to putting the visitors ahead with ten minutes to go, but his glancing header flew just wide of O’Hara’s far post.

There was a glorious chance for Macc moments later when Elliott Durrell whipped a dangerous free-kick into the area, but he couldn’t find Kelleher who had been left all alone at the back post.

Durrell carved out another opportunity for Harry Smith as the game approached the 90-minute mark, but his cross was just too high, and the ball fell behind for a Morecambe goal kick.

Some late Morecambe pressure ensued with Kevin Ellison striking the ball just over O’Hara’s crossbar, but Macc survived to claim a well-deserved point.

Advertisement block