Skip to main content Skip to site footer

The Complete History Of Our Trips To Vale Park

25 April 2019

Despite the close geographical proximity of the two clubs, we have only made the journey to face Port Vale on seven previous occasions.

The first of these was way back on 3rd October 1885, as we made our way to Burslem to contest a pre-league encounter.

It proved to be rather a disappointing day however, as Macc suffered a 5 - 0 defeat and following on from this, the two sides would not meet again for another 103 years.

This is despite the fact that contests against The Valiants second-string were a regular occurrence during our Cheshire League days. Indeed, we would make the trip down to Stoke-on-Trent on no less than thirty-two occasions between 1923 and 1958.

Macc would reign victorious on seven occasions during these trips - with our most convincing victory being a 5 - 0 rout in October 1953.

Arthur Jones and Malcolm Glazzard both grabbed braces that day, with Frank Monaghan also on the scoresheet for Jack Smith's side.

After FA Cup giant-killing acts against Carlisle United and Rotherham United in the earlier rounds, Peter Wragg's Macclesfield Town made the journey to Vale Park to contest an FA Cup Third Round tie on 10th January 1988.

Despite a gallant showing, our cup heroics ended courtesy of a solitary Kevin Finney strike -which handed The Valiants a lucrative Fourth Round tie against Tottenham Hotspur.

The first time that the two sides met in the Football League was back in September 2008 and it proved to be a memorable day for the travelling Silkmen faithful.

Canadian international Terry Dunfield gave Macc the lead in the 36th minute and despite the fact that Louis Dodds restored parity for the hosts just before the interval, three goals in a  majestic eleven minute spell sealed an inspired victory for Keith Alexander's side.

Simon Yeo restored our lead in the 75th minute and the former Lincoln City man added to his tally just eight minutes later to give Macc a two goal cushion.

With the home side pushing forward, Isak Reid ended the game as a contest with a clinical strike four minutes from time.

History would repeat itself in part two months later, as the two sides were paired together in the FA Cup Second Round.

Francis Green's early strike set Alexander's men on their way that day, yet Louis Dodds was to equalise once again for The Valiants with nineteen minutes left to play.

Despite this, Green would add a second two minutes later and Martin Gritton sealed the victory right on the stroke of full-time to set up a Third Round clash with Everton.

A scoreless draw ensued in January 2010, before Gary Simpson's side made the journey back to Vale Park in March 2011.

Lee Collins gave the hosts the lead just before the half-hour mark that day and this was doubled by another Louis Dodds strike three minutes from time. Tyrone Barnett did reduce the arrears in injury-time, but it proved to be too little to late as Macc's three match unbeaten run came to an end.

The last time that we visited Vale Park was back on 9th April 2012 - as Brian Horton's Silkmen side continued to fight off impending relegation.

It turned out to be a dismal day, as George Donnelly fired a wild penalty over the Vale bar before Adam Yates struck the winning goal with eight minutes last on the clock.

All the above mean that our complete record when travelling to face Port Vale's First Team is -

Played 7. Won 2. Drawn 1. Lost 4.

Advertisement block