Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Morecambe 2-1 Macclesfield Town

22 September 2018

The Silkmen’s search for three points continues after two Morecambe goals either side of Danny Whitaker’s second of the season defeated 10-man Macclesfield Town.

The hosts broke the deadlock in the 61st minute, with Liam Mandeville collecting an overhit cross from the left and managing to find A-Jay Leitch-Smith in a crowded penalty area, who flicked past O’Hara.

However, the Silkmen were level just over 10 minutes later after Danny Whitaker’s thunderous half-volley blasted through a wall of red before hitting the back of the net in front of jubilant Macc fans.

With the Silkmen going for three-points, the Shrimps soon caught Macc on the break with Andrew Fleming running the ball from the half-way line and slotting into the bottom corner.

Yet, for a large portion of the match, the hosts had the man-advantage when Michael Rose was unfortunately shown red after colliding with Alex Kenyon in the centre-circle.

Ahead of this fixture, Mark Yates made three changes from the Lincoln City starting eleven last week, bringing in Nathan Blissett, Tyrone Marsh and Callum Evans into the line-up.

After a cagey first ten minutes for both sides, which could only boast a Rhys Oates effort from the edge of the area, the Silkmen came to life. Michael Rose’s long-range effort stung the gloves of the Shrimps’ skipper Barry Roche after some promising build up play.

The Silkmen began to dominate proceedings, with Jamie Grimes and Nathan Blissett both having efforts for the visitors, before Rose’s dangerous free-kick was stolen from the head of the 6-foot striker.

Liam Mandeville then scuffed a shot for the visitors after Fiacre Kelleher and Callum Evans clashed heads, with the latter receiving lengthy treatment.

Evans was eventually stretchered off for Callum Maycock, and just moments later, Rose received his marching orders for a challenge in the 37th minute.

Despite Morecambe trying their hardest to make their man advantage pay before half-time, the Silkmen stood firm. O’Hara produced a spectacular save to deny Andrew Fleming’s piledriver from distance, before the Shrimps midfielder flashed a cross through the six-yard area that evaded everyone.

Due to the stoppages in the first half, nine minutes of added time were played, with Liam Mandeville having the last say for the hosts as his looping effort from distance dropped onto the roof of the net.

Half-time: Morecambe 0-0 Macclesfield Town

The hosts continued from where they left off, forcing James Pearson to put his body on the line as the hosts bared down on the Silkmen’s goal. Zak Mills then dragged his shot past the post from the resulting corner.

Macc’s first chance of the half then came from an Pearson throw-in, which was flicked on by Grimes and almost headed goal-wards by an incoming Tyrone Marsh at the back post.

It was not long before Morecambe then went ahead, Leitch-Smith squeezing his close-range effort across the line. And the Shrimps almost found a second soon after as the goalscorer’s effort form 18-yards was blocked into the gloves of O’Hara.

James Pearson’s throw-ins caused havoc in the home side’s penalty area all afternoon, and one justly led to the visitors’ equaliser. The ball fell to Whitaker on the edge of the area, and the 37-year-old equalised with a rocket in the 72nd minute.

Kieran O’Hara then made a brilliant save to keep the scores level, diving low to his right to claw away a shot from Leitch-Smith. However, Fleming then found the winner in the 77th minute.

With Yates opting for more height off the bench, Macc were fighting for a point, with both sides peppering each other’s goals in the late stages to no avail.

Full-time: Morecambe 2-1 Macclesfield Town

Morecambe: Roche, Mills, Conlan, Kenyon (Tutte 45’), Fleming, Yarney (Oliver 71’), Wildig, Lavelle, Mandeville, Oates (Ellison 76’), Leitch-Smith.

Unused subs: Halstead, Sinclair, Piggot, Hedley.

Macclesfield Town: O’Hara, Fitzpatrick, Kelleher, Grimes, Marsh (Vincenti 78’), Blissett, Napa (Smith 66’), Evans (Maycock 38’), Pearson, Whitaker, Rose.

Unused subs: Simpson, Lowe, Wilson, Arthur.

By Matt Bates

Advertisement block